Flood insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justbeCoz

Registered
Reaction score
I am comparing the DAN equipment policy (Flood Ins.) against the DEPP policy. the 2 biggest difference I see are that DAN pays you cash, is excess insurance and has a higher deductible than DEPP. The Depp policy simply repairs or replaces damaged equipment. Does anyone have any experience with either of these policies?

Thanks for your assistance.

Yes - I flooded my brand new :)-() Sea and Sea Dx-5000G. THe DAN insurance paid within a few days less the $250 deductible.

I can't give you firsthand experience, but for what its worth...

I just signed up for the DEPP program yesterday, I chose them because I've heard nothing but good things on this forum as far as claims and experiences have gone. Price wasn't bad either - $60 and some change for $2500 of dive equipment including a camera with flood policy :D

They had a new camera (Oly 5060) within a couple of weeks and I only had to pay a $50 deductible. I felt like a got good service and they were very responsive to my requests. I would prefer the cash payoff of Dan but DEPP is much cheaper.

I've been using DEPP for about 7-8 years, getting ready to renew, and have had several claims. The claims were handled quickly and I've always been completely satisfied. You've noted the major difference in the two policies. I don't mind getting my gear repaired or replaced. Only you can decide which you prefer. In the case of cameras that are no longer available, such as the older C-4040's, DEPP will apply the amount of the coverage to another model of your choice....at least that's what they've told me.

I just insured my equipment with State Farm for $1.60 per $100 value. It covers everything with a 0 deductible. If it floods, 100% covered, stolen, 100% covered, dropped, lost at sea, what ever 100% covered. Oh yah if it can not be fixed they pay you what you insured it for. IMO its better then DEPP and DAN

mwrager:
I just insured my equipment with State Farm for $1.60 per $100 value. It covers everything with a 0 deductible. If it floods, 100% covered, stolen, 100% covered, dropped, lost at sea, what ever 100% covered. Oh yah if it can not be fixed they pay you what you insured it for. IMO its better then DEPP and DAN

Thanks for this info. I will contact my agent to see what they can do. You are right that your policy beats either of the other two. With Dan you really have to suffer a big loss before they do anything.

Dee:
I've been using DEPP for about 7-8 years, getting ready to renew, and have had several claims. The claims were handled quickly and I've always been completely satisfied. You've noted the major difference in the two policies. I don't mind getting my gear repaired or replaced. Only you can decide which you prefer. In the case of cameras that are no longer available, such as the older C-4040's, DEPP will apply the amount of the coverage to another model of your choice....at least that's what they've told me.

Thanks for the insight, between what you have said and that of mwrager I feel I can pretty much rule out the Dan policy.

Thanks for responding. It seem almost unanimous that the DEPP policy is better than Dan's

Thanks for responding, I hope that you do not need to use your policy. Ive been diving for 2 years with my cannon A40 in the Canon housing and have been lucky. Now that Ive upgraded to the Oly 5060 its just seems to be a matter of time befor bad luck strikes. I have also heard that the older pt015's for the Oly 5050 had some problems. I hope that my meticulous care of the housing before and after the dives had something to do with my good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom