flooded g-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Been diving more than 22 years taking pics and as the saying goes... it's not a matter of if your housing floods, it's when and mine did on the 1st dive two days ago in roatan!

Well now I have to decide if i want to get another g-10, move to a g-12 (have not heard great things about it though) or look at some other possibilites including oly and panasonic.

my main interest is macro and i use a subsee+10 with inon s2000.

one thing i do know is that i want to spend the money for a fisheye or rescea housing instead of a manufacturer's one.... the flooding was due to leaking through seals around the various buttons on the housing, which was only 3 years old

looking for feedback and suggestions

I'm going to have a G-10 and Fisheye FIX housing for sale shortly ... as well as both the flat wide-angle and dome ports.

I'm waiting for the Sea & Sea housing I just ordered for my brand new T2i camera. Drop me a PM if you're interested and we can talk about it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Strange to have such a sudden flooding from the button
there is a tutorial on how to replace those O rings too
I guess the question is how and if you can recycle the wet lenses
i have just got my first recsea after years of canon and the difference is substantial
in my case though the real issue was to recycle the AD bayonet wet lenses so a new canon or ikelite set would have required new wet lenses and ended up costIng more

the flooding was due to leaking through seals around the various buttons on the housing, which was only 3 years old

Sorry to hear about your housing flood.

If I may ask was it a Canon housing and did you from time to time use liquid silicone on the plunger O-rings?

Well now I have to decide if i want to get another g-10, move to a g-12 (have not heard great things about it though) or look at some other possibilites including oly and panasonic.

What haven't you heard great things about, the G12 ?? I shoot one in an Ikelite housing and it is great. Added front wheel, HD video (720). If you liked your G10, take a look at the G12. The new Canon G1X is another story though.. no macro to speak of and not so hot on autofocus, but awesome photos from the large sensor on land.

I will use this strictly for uw shooting.... have other land cameras that I take when traveling as well.

Since I shoot mainly macro and supermacro, really have no need for other wet lenses or dome ports.... i love using my subsee +10!!

still have until next weekend before i head back home and then won't be taking a group out diving until June so have time to figure things out. Definitely liked shooting the the g-10 and if I get another one, will get an aluminum housing so I can send it in for pressure testing. :)

Sorry to hear about your housing flood.

If I may ask was it a Canon housing and did you from time to time use liquid silicone on the plunger O-rings?
Gilligan, what's with liquid silicone? I use those on the plunger O rings from time to time.

Gilligan, what's with liquid silicone? I use those on the plunger O rings from time to time.

You use an eyedropper to put some liquid silicon on the o-rings around the buttons, push them a few times to grease them and then wipe off excess before storing housing between dive trips. Jeff Mullins has a very good description of how to maintain the polycarbinate housings.

Really would like feedback from those that are using the g-11 and g-12 or s95....

if i stick with the g-10i will switch to an aluminum housing

The G12 is a capable camera, other options you may want to consider are the Olympus XZ1 and the Lumix LX5. Both have a variety of great housing available.

Back
Top Bottom