flooded g-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the G11 for a while, but found it was not as good as the Canon S90, so I sold the G11 and used the S90 in a cheap Canon housing. Can't beat the price and tiny size, fits in a BC pocket. (The G12 is very similar to the G11.) I would suggest you look at the Canon S95 rather than G series if you want to stay with Canon. It has a very bright lens, same sensor and image quality as the G12, and good macro. It's better on wide too, just a quirk of how the G series lens moves when zooming makes it not so good at wide, in a housing.

I find the S90 dandy fine, but moved on to an Olympus XZ1 because it's even better. It's an especially a good buy with the Olympus housing (better quality than the Canon housings by far, I suspect made by Sea&Sea). You do get what you pay for, the recsea housings are very nice, but given the obsolescence factor I opted for a budget Olympus solution. Check out the Olympus forum for more if you want to follow up. The Panasonic LX5 is great too, but you need a recsea or other pro housing for it, so the Olympus fit my needs better.

The LX-5 and E-PM1 seem to both be topping my list of choices right now.... the lx-5 is much cheaper but the housing is more $$ so when all is said and done, cost should be about the same with either outfit.

Good thing I have time before my next trip to make my decision and play with it on land just to get used to the settings. :)

Love my G11 in my Canon housing, but I shoot video too, so I'll be moving to a S100 as soon as my money allows.

The G cameras will focus a little closer than the S cameras in macro mode (check the specs), but the S cameras have a faster lens, and other than a longer zoom (which you wouldn't use underwater anyway) the specs are pretty much identical to the G's of the same generation. The G cameras also don't do well with wide angle lenses compared to the S series.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom