Flooded my D7000 yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

" If you take cameras in the water often enough, sooner or later, water will end up on the wrong side of the O-ring."

This was written by Stephen Frink (http://www.stephenfrink.com/sf-tips/cameraflood/) and I completely agree with him. And while I believe every precaution should be made to keep water from damaging camera equipment, I'm curious as to why no one on this thread questioned why the OP didn't have any equipment insurance. He ended up buying expensive new replacement camera body and lens, and got lucky that the housing didnt need replacement. Among seasoned photographers, like Frink, who have a lot invested in their UW rigs, none are naive enough to think that water damage can be permanently avoided. Equipment insurance would have saved the OP both money and frustration.

Its fast, not a leak, the seal isn't contacting are your trying to annoy me ??? you add nothing of any real value to this post....how far is Ohio from the ocean by the way?

Dude Chill out. I wouldn't think about trying to annoy you.

I am sorry that you are so upset at what happened to your camera that you can't see the reality of the situation. You had a major leak due to user error that was ignored or overlooked and you flooded your camera.

I guess that you think that the ocean is the only place to dive? We have several quarry's within a hours drive, several lakes including Lake Erie and I do travel. For a inland state Ohio has a lot of divers.

At less then 50 dives you have me baffled as to why you carry a camera underwater!

From your posted information: ozzydamo
user-offline.png
Frequent Poster
stars-3-5.gif

"Cetus" on vhf QLD

Join DateFeb 2011DivesNone - Not Certified

It looks like you need to get certified????

Look at the bright side... They still make the D7000. You can buy a replacement camera body and still use the housing. If my D100 floods, I have to buy a new camera AND housing!!

Good to see that you have your system back together. Great photos, but the white balance seems a bit too warm. Are you using a strobe?

Yes using a ys-d1(100*diffuser) first time out seriously with the strobe on it- that was manually white balanced on some white sand next to that area - will try k5000 next go and stop it down to f11(it was f5.6 ss1/320 iso 100).

I have also sacrificed a camera to Poseidon. I was able to save the photos!

---------- Post Merged at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:01 PM ----------

I have also sacrificed a camera to Poseidon. I was able to save the photos!

If you shoot in raw you can easily fix any white balance issues in a program like lightroom. I find the auto white balance setting on the D7000 when shooting macro usually does an ok job.

Did 3 dives yesterday at flat rock SEQ, loaded up the camera the night before.
I stuffed up bigtime, having left the lense in M position, didn't notice until on the first dive- Having swore to never open the camera at sea on my boat, that was a wasted trip almost "focal distance" was locked at about 500mm.
From my roll over the gunnel I descended down to a Octopus in rock gully.

Bad timing because I saw heaps of GNS and on the last dive on the west of the reef I saw saw lots of 10kg spanish mackerel, then below them on the shell rubble bottom, a 9ft hammerhead shark and a 5ft bull shark.....
But hey at lest I had a great 3 solo dives.

Why would you waste two other dives (presumably you discovered on first dive) because your lens was on manual setting? After drying my camera off with a towel and making sure I'm not dripping water, I've popped the port off my rig plenty of times to switch lenses and never had an issue. I've been with Ryan Cannon from Reef Photo & video and seen him crack open his d7000 nauticam on a boat right after getting out of the water....he just laid the two halves open like a book so no water would drain in. My point is that there is no absolute rule about opening UW rigs on boats...I try to avoid it if I can but lets say i do a WA dive and discover the visibility is crap, I'm going macro the next dive and there is no magical way to get a different lens on without opening your rig. A drop of water inside your rig will not ruin anything and I would die for an in focus shot of a hammerhead (got the bull shark already) ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344173173.157623.jpg

Alternatively, you can do a lot with a macro lens in manual. In fact for lots of small subjects in dim lighting, its necessary to try "trap" shooting in manual mode, by moving the camera back and forth til in focus and firing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom