Flooded my Powershot SD750

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prandyulo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:depressed:Normally I'd be using my G10 but my son used it so I borrowed by daughter's SD750. I noticed the housing had about 1/3 water inside so I aborted the dive which lasted only 10 minutes at 40 feet, so had the camera rinsed with fresh water after removing the battery and flash memory card. I never turned it on. Air dried and placed inside zip lock with silica gel for 3 days. Tried to turn it on today but won't power up at all although battery is fully charged and photos stored in memory card still readable. Any suggestions on what to do next?

:depressed:Normally I'd be using my G10 but my son used it so I borrowed by daughter's SD750. I noticed the housing had about 1/3 water inside so I aborted the dive which lasted only 10 minutes at 40 feet, so had the camera rinsed with fresh water after removing the battery and flash memory card. I never turned it on. Air dried and placed inside zip lock with silica gel for 3 days. Tried to turn it on today but won't power up at all although battery is fully charged and photos stored in memory card still readable. Any suggestions on what to do next?

56.gif

Been there done that, more than once. From my experience the camera is history. Salt water destroyed it. I had one that only had 1/2" of water in the bottom of the housing. I let it dry for one month and it worked again only to die a short time after that.

Still hoping others might have had better results but thanks for letting me know anyway. I read in the Canon Forum a G9 was successfully restored.... now bidding in Ebay

Did you change the other battery? There is a small watch-type battery that keeps memory alive when the camera is off. If it was shorted by the flood, maybe a replacement would solve the death problem. Didn't for me, however. :depressed:

Even though the camera was off, standby power circuitry in the camera monitors the push-button that will power on the camera if activated. That circuitry could be damaged. If not oxidation will in the near future.....bummer.

Thanks, will try the alcohol. will also bring to a repairman this weekend.

Just an update: had 2 repairmen look at it, showed me the circuits inside already corroded. Brought to the Canon service center, same diagnosis but replacement parts available and repairable although costs more than the camera purchase price. So, searched the web and found a slightly used camera for the same purchased price and will inspect it tomorrow. I now have a spare case, battery, SD card, and cables. Next project will be to try to remove the corrosion myself by playing around with several options. Lesson learned: not enough to rinse and air dry after the flooding, camera must be opened to expose the circuits for rinsing and bring immediately to the repairman before corrosion starts.

OP sorry about your camera, I'm always worried I'd suffer the same thing. I check my case for leaks meticulously the night before like they suggest. Once it's in there, it's in there for the weekend. I'm afraid to touch it after. Glad you found a suitable and "economical" replacement, hopefully it works for many more dives to come. Happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom