flooded Petrel 2 - just a small data point for Shearwater fans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I would have posted this little data point in one of the many threads praising the toughness of the Shearwater Petrel and its successor, the Perdix, but this is easier. Apparently, this Petrel 2 was struck against some hard surface--maybe it contacted a rock on a shore dive--in just the wrong place, leaving a tiny nick or chip at the rim of the battery compartment, where the battery compartment plug is flush with the case after screwing it in. It wasn't even noticeable until later inspection. A tiny nick or chip. Perhaps that spot is its Achilles Heel. Due to the chamfer or rounded end of the battery compartment, the case does appear to be thinner there. Ironically, in some previous thread I asserted that the Petrel is "built like a tank." Well, perhaps not quite. The Shearwater U.S. repair center informs me that the computer is dead, with a repair estimate of US$400. I still believe Shearwater makes a great computer. Time for a Perdix, it seems.

The Shearwater U.S. repair center informs me that the computer is dead, with a repair estimate of US$400. I still believe Shearwater makes a great computer. Time for a Perdix, it seems.

Did they offer you any type of an upgrade deal?

I flooded my Petrel 2 as well... Its was a pretty new unit at the time...only about 40 dives.

While diving at 260 feet I glanced at it and noticed the screen had changed to the compass...but I had not switched it to compass.
I then tried to switch it to regular screen, but the button was not working.
The display seemed to show the other data points correctly (depth, time, etc).

Then when I got to the first gas switch, I could not use the buttons to switch gases.
I then realized it was pretty much toast, so I continued using the written schedule and backup timer.

Cause?
Apparently the o-ring on the pressure sensor leaked salt water into the Petrel.

Did they offer you any type of an upgrade deal?

Nope. The repair would include a new case/housing and I don't knw what else. But definitely a repair not replacement or upgrade to Perdix.

Like $400 rather than >$800? Those repairs will mean he has a new unit.... a Petrel2 be it....

Thanks to the Perdix AI there are deals to be had on nearly new Perdix non-AI.

Like $400 rather than >$800? Those repairs will mean he has a new unit.... a Petrel2 be it....

"Upgrade DEAL" to the Perdix, the latest computer.

Being the owner of a failed and repaired Petrel1 (got another Petrel1), and from other comments on threads here pertaining to failures and repairs, you get the same model as you had. SW isn't dealing on upgrading/repairs that I have seen.

Being the owner of a failed and repaired Petrel1 (got another Petrel1), and from other comments on threads here pertaining to failures and repairs, you get the same model as you had. SW isn't dealing on upgrading/repairs that I have seen.

It appears so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom