flooded Suunto Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrep1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
HI,

Flooded my vyper a month ago I salt water after a battery change/pressure change. Device no longer under warranty. Cleaned it up and changed the battery again. No flooding. works great.
Any recommendation for a "deep clean" ?
Is this something that can/is worth servicing?

Thanks in advance.

Since it works you can always take the "leave well enough alone" approach...but any humidity may cause residual salt to incite corrosion. Not sure if the temperature gradient difference between the surface and depth is enough to cause any condensation in the battery compartment but it seems like its plausible.

or

Remove the batter and flush with fresh water to hopefully remove any salt residue/remnants. Let dry thoroughly before replacing the battery and testing....if it still works, great.

-Zef

I already did the vinegar and 99% alcohol. Been holding for now.
thanks

I already did the vinegar and 99% alcohol. Been holding for now.
thanks
Not a good idea. The Vyper and other Suunto "puck" computers have a battery chamber which is isolated from the actual electronics. The vinegar is not good for the metal parts. The 99% alcohol is not so good for the o-rings at the buttons and battery chamber. I do not know what it will do to the depth sensor which is packed in silicone or the grease in the button O-rings. I suggest you give it a good rinse and soak again in distilled water as Zef suggested. It is also a good idea to change the battery compartment O-ring and inspect the sealing surfaces for any damage. Just curious, where did you get the vinegar/alcohol idea?

I didn't soak the whole thing, just the battery compartment. Vinegar is really good at neutralizing the battery leakage, was very useful with a strobe leak a while ago. 99% alcohol is an excellent electronics cleaner and dries without residues.
Cover and o-ring were removed, inside was cleaned with cotton swabs and dried.

Vinegar is regularly used by do it yourself shop techs to clean regulators. Admittedly a regulator is not an electrical device, but it's not immediately destructive to metal.
It's good at removing corrosion on electrical parts, ones that have been subject to saltwater electrolysis. You can watch it eat it up.
I certainly wouldn't use it indiscriminately, or leave parts in there for prolonged periods, it is an acid even if weak. Use just long enough to clean up the corrosion if present.

I'd do a 2nd soak with a mild bicarbonate solution (a pinch in clean water), then the alcohol rinse to remove the rest of the water, then dry.......try and hope.

I didn't soak the whole thing, just the battery compartment. Vinegar is really good at neutralizing the battery leakage, was very useful with a strobe leak a while ago. 99% alcohol is an excellent electronics cleaner and dries without residues.
Cover and o-ring were removed, inside was cleaned with cotton swabs and dried.

Sorry. I thought you dunked the entire thing in :). I use 50/50 vinegar for my regs if there are any sign of corrosion and skip it if there is none. As fmerkel said, I then dunk it in a neutralizing bath of baking soda. Just curious, did the contacts corrode? They are supposedly gold plated.

you did great, even is regular water and drying it was more than enough :).

Sorry. I thought you dunked the entire thing in :). I use 50/50 vinegar for my regs if there are any sign of corrosion and skip it if there is none. As fmerkel said, I then dunk it in a neutralizing bath of baking soda. Just curious, did the contacts corrode? They are supposedly gold plated.

Only the battery corroded and that is what I cleaned up. It has been good to me. I'll spot check it again at the end of the season

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom