Flopper v Slip Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA482

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Curious as to your thoughts or preferences on flopper tips vs. slip tips.

I've been shooting a slip tip for about a year and recently changed to a double flopper because of some loss issues. I shoot a Riffe Euro 110 with two 5/8" bands. My main gripe on the slip tip was the reloading time. I found a thick rubber band to hold the tip on the shaft, but sometimes I think it is loosens up because when I shoot some fish it just tears through them as if sideways. This leaves some fish with missing portions of their backs and me hungry :idk: . Either way, I've only shot a few fish so far with the double flopper tip but noticed my aim is a little different. I think the double flopper is a tad bit heavier, but haven't weighed it.

Most of my target species are sea bass. Calico's and Sand Bass in So Cal and hopefully some White Sea bass this spring :D.

Halibut are also on the menu for me, and one day I hope to slam a YT.

Any suggestions from you long time spearos would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Here on the west coast of FL, we mainly use single flopper shafts, mostly freeshafts and some with lines attached.

Only time we use slip tips is for big, soft fleshed fish like Wahoo.

C

... My main gripe on the slip tip was the reloading time.

Different setups for different fish enviroments. Sliptips are great for mid water fish like jacks and cobia, or your WSB's. Rarely bend a shaft, but dang it adds more time to reload.

I'm like Chuck and reload time is more important to me so I freeshaft. I can string 5 fish in the time that another spearo takes to work the sliptip out of the fish and then reload string and replace the shaft. It just takes a little more time to line up a good shot placement so you pin the fish into the sand or you stone it.

Use what ever setup is best for you and you feel most confident with.

I'm like Chuck and reload time is more important to me so I freeshaft. I can string 5 fish in the time that another spearo takes to work the sliptip out of the fish and then reload string and replace the shaft.

What do you mean exactly by freeshafting? No line or no tip?

No line or no tip?

Yep no line and no screw on tip. The tip is just a single flopper. You aim downward at a 45 degree angle for a head shot and pin the fish to the sand. The fish won't swim away if done correctly and even if it does swim, it's not very far and easy to chase down.

Perhaps Chuck has a video of his that he can link to show you how it's done. It's a very effective and quick way to put fish in the cooler. It also teaches you proper shot placement and better stalking skills to get the fish. I typically only use one single band and not the 3-4 that many other line shaft hunters use. If you have an accurate shot, you'll roll the fish without a fight.

Riffe_HawaiianShafts.jpg

freeshafting is very productive, but has limitations. not for use high in the water column, for example.

Fish like AJ and barracuda will take off with a 60" shaft if you don't stone them.

But for bottom fish like grouper, hogfish, mangrove snapper & such it works quite well.

back to the slip tip question.

I mostly spear on scuba. I've found slips to be a PITA, so I use either single or double flopper spears.

However, slips have their uses. They've very good for use on larger fish that tend to fight. AJ, barracuda, etc. Cuda are soft bodied. I like to shoot them at close range through the head, get the flopper through & it will hold them. Hit them farther back -doesn't take much- and they're soft. Will often tear off a single flopper shaft. Slip tip works way better to ensure getting the fish.

When free dive spearing, reload time isn't an issue. Slips are less objectionable for that. I don't mind the extra time to get them off & reload when not limited by tank capacity & NDL time.

cool you tube clip of freeshaft demo...uw archery! so far good im having good success w/ double flopper tip...any thoughts on aiming differences?

As mentioned, slip tips are best for midwater shooting. I couldn't resist shooting a couple grouper on a rock and have ruined two slip tips and bent an adaptor. Not cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom