Flores/Komodo/Rinca Day Trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitphys

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We have a few days free on our Indonesia trip in January and want to visit Komodo dragons in Rinca. So we are thinking about flying to Labuanbajo and then doing a day trip out to Rinca. So if anyone has done day trips for diving and dragon visits from Labuanbajo: do we need to book things ahead of time? Or do you think it is easier (and maybe cheaper) to simply get to Labuanbajo and then walk down to try and get hotel rooms, and also arrange for dives and Rinca day trips? Otherwise, do you have any operators you can recommend for diving and the dragon tour?

Oh also I know the airlines in the area are generally not that reliable, but of the ones flying between Bali and Labuanbajo, is there one that is "better" (more reliable) than the others?

Any advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Well I've done a lot of land based diving into the Komodo National Park from Labuanbajo. Assuming you arrive midday or whatever time in L'bajo, that gives you time to settle into your hotel, then walk around to the dive shops or travel agencies to negotiate a trip to Rinca for the next morning. (Its unlikely you'll be able sort anything for the day you arrive, as trips set off early morning, 8 or 9am or so).

Actually, its worth first asking other tourists at Gardena Hotel / resteraunt (the main 'meeting point' in L'bajo) if there are already arranged trips you can join - if you charter a boat on your own it can be relatively expensive (around 1 million Rupia), better to share costs!

I've mostly dived with Reefseekers, and always had a good time with these guys (see my video from my last trip HERE). Depending on the weather in January(!) its well worth doing a bunch of dives here - its my favorite destination so far in Indonesia! For both diving and visiting the dragons you will need to buy a National Park permit - for either 3 days or a week I believe. The dive boats sometimes stop for two or so hours at Rinca, this depends if all the guests agree they want to visit... Its a matter of making enquiries.

Regarding airlines (Transnusa, AIT, Merpati) none are 100% reliable, its all luck of the draw really. But so far I've had no major delays/cancellations (touch wood).

What you could consider to ensure your flights are booked in advance is get in touch with a reputable travel agency like Perama (see :: Perama Tour & Travel - Bali :: ) and ask if they can book flights to Labuanbajo for the dates you require. No up-front payment on your part required AFAIK, when you arrive in Bali you go to the Perama office and make your payment (flight + booking charge) and collect your tickets. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Bora_Horza: that was incredibly useful thank you. I was searching around and it seemed really difficult to try and book anything in Labuanbajo on the internet. So we'll book our flights when we get to Bali, and then for actual dive trips etc. we'l just figure that out when w get to Labuanbajo. Hopefully things wont be "sold out" for the days when we are there. Thanks!

Bora_Horza: that was incredibly useful thank you. I was searching around and it seemed really difficult to try and book anything in Labuanbajo on the internet. So we'll book our flights when we get to Bali, and then for actual dive trips etc. we'l just figure that out when w get to Labuanbajo. Hopefully things wont be "sold out" for the days when we are there. Thanks!

As I recall, Reefseekers can help with a travel agent to book Denpasar-to-Labuanbajo flights. It might be easier to make some basic arrangements before arriving in Bali.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom