Florida Cave Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great pic Wes, Larry came highly recommended by Doppler who is well known around these parts. I bought a new slimline HID from dive rite so I am set in that department. I don't think the cave course card will help me much up here iether, but the skills will be great and the added confidence for wreck penetration is where I see me using it most.

Hello all,

I'm with Doppler,

I really liked Larry green's style and experence.

I met him at Hal Watt's place.

I am going to be completing my cave work with him.

bob

a group of us when we were looking to take up cave diving spent a full recon week, interviewing various cave instructors asking their attitudes and differing teaching techniques to decide upon an instructor(s). Caving is amazing because virtually everyone is so passionate about the sport. After what we thought was some pretty thorough discussions, it was decided to use John and Shelley Orlowski (aquaspeleo.com), ourselves personally, liked their approach to teaching, and we really like the idea of their tag team approach, where John loves the water and not as much the books, he feels that the classroom is the "cave" and the diving is the education. While Shelley, incorporates both academics with water. The two instructors use the strengths and weaknesses of the student, along with their own strengths and weaknesses to provide a thorough course. We also liked the idea that John Orlowski fully admits to having students fail his course if they are possibly a harm to themselves or others. As he said his reputation is on the line if an accident ever occurred.
The Orlowski's also have a wonderful guest house for the students to stay. Our next choices were: Bill Rennaker(sidemount.com), who the ladies found a little intimidating, but very nice. Larry Green (eagle technical) has great attitude also. Again, the main reason for diving is fun. So enjoy.

Michael O'Leary is a great instructor in my book, I took Cavern/Intro this spring and plan to return next year to finish full cave. He is the intn'l safety officer for NACD. Check out www.cavediving.org

I realize the post was started to find a FL cave instructor, but does anyone have experience w/ either cavern or cave training with Steve Gerrard in the Yucatan? Comparison with David Rhea or Tyler Moon?

just muddled through this thread! GEEEEZZZZ!

ahhh the EGO"S surrounding cave diving.....some things never change!

my advice:
train with different folks along the way...ie: different instructor 4 cavern, full cave, mix, stage, scooter...etc. pick the best techniques you find that work 4 you.

EX-cave diver
lost 4 friends and two instructors (exley and berman) in caves over the years....BE CAREFUL ..NEVER DIVE WITH ANYONE BRAVER THAN U!!!

larry green or paul hienreth would be a good choice 4 full cave

hal watts 4 deep air...no one close here.

one of those wkpp guys 4 trimix i suppose....sheck was my mix instructor...unfortunately he is no longer with us.

u want to pick some one who routinely dives the specialty u seek instruction on.

a narcotized reaction can occur to the diver inside established parameters if the conditions foster such...best to train and be prepared to deal with it.

one of the worst head spinning narcs i ever had was at 100 fsw in cold dark water, swimming against a current.

did 300 on air in kona once and did not feel as waxed as i did in the above event....that warm clear water makes a big differance!

learning how to cope with the vision loss, onset of panic, brain farts, etc. can be quite invaluable!

mrducks once bubbled...
...best to train and be prepared to deal with it.
My feelings exactly, which is why every Friday after work I slam back about half a dozen Rusty Nails and head out on the highways. I mean, you need to learn to deal with it, right?

Same bogus line of reasoning.

The amount of risk you face by *deliberately* putting yourself at risk is worse than dealing with it *if* it happens accidentally.

In other words the "cure" is worse than the disease.

Sooner or later the days of the Nitrogen Buzz Cowboys will be over, but I guess there's still a few narc junkies still around trying to justify it...

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom