Florida Cave Watch...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
All the caves in "Cave Country" are closed at the present time, save Ginnie Springs. The Suwanee River is 30ft above flood stage and many of the springs and parks along it are under water. I believe the caves West of Tallahassee are still open... please chime in if they are not.

Here are some pics from the Suwanee at Branford Fl.

First, a few from last Friday with the river at 24 ft above flood:

upload_2018-12-20_9-51-40.png

The park's boat launch

upload_2018-12-20_9-52-10.png

I am at the top looking down into the spring and there are handrails to either side of me.

upload_2018-12-20_9-52-34.png

Highway 27 Bridge over the Suwanee

upload_2018-12-20_9-53-5.png

This is the Flood pole. 1973 is way up there (yellow) and the bridge (white) is near the top.

upload_2018-12-20_9-53-36.png

Hwy 27 Bridge over the Ichetucknee (near Ft White) to the South

upload_2018-12-20_9-53-56.png

Hwy 27 Bridge over the Ichetucknee (near Ft White) to the North​

These pics were taken this morning with the river right at 30ft flood stage:

upload_2018-12-20_10-1-6.png

The road through the park is close and a good portion of it is under water.

upload_2018-12-20_10-2-13.png

I'm a few feet back on the same stairway into the spring.

upload_2018-12-20_10-3-18.png

Wheelchair access to the spring is a bit easier. :D

upload_2018-12-20_10-4-15.png

The Flood Pole is now in the water by about 6 inches or so. We're getting 4 to 5 inches of rain right now. This will be the wettest December here in recorded history.

upload_2018-12-20_10-6-5.png

This isn't the first flood this mighty live oak has endured... and hopefully it will continue to endure.

upload_2018-12-20_10-7-8.png

The park is almost engulfed in the flood waters. The floating dock which is usually 20+ feet below the bank is now above it.

upload_2018-12-20_10-9-41.png

The parking lot at Ivey Memorial Park in Branford is completely underwater. It's about three ft deep in the middle.​

Wow that flood pole lost it fast. Heard Ginnie this am was rising fast and only the final top step at Devils was left. Then it would be going for the parking lot. My heart goes out to all the area dive shops since this is a big holiday week for sales dollars that they desperately need and 7 inches of rain today is shutting things down.

Some buddies and I were thinking about diving Ginnie on Saturday but we are now going to pass. You saved us a 5 hour drive, so thanks!

Friends were going to drive down for a two week trip from the Midwest, but they just booked a last minute trip to Mexico instead.

Pardon my stupidity but how does this effect diving conditions inside the cave?

Pardon my stupidity but how does this effect diving conditions inside the cave?
It's a fair question... At this level, the caves are starting to siphon or reverse. That means a lot of the brown river water has infiltrated the caves, ruining the visibility. It's just not safe.

My family is going down to dive Rainbow River next week and if we have time, Devils Den and Blue Grotto. Are these in the affected area?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom