Florida Dive Sites!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I will definitely look into all of those places in my upcoming school year! That shark tooth hunting dive seems very interesting... Has anyone ever done this before? If so, what's it like? What do you do?

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I will definitely look into all of those places in my upcoming school year! That shark tooth hunting dive seems very interesting... Has anyone ever done this before? If so, what's it like? What do you do?
I go toothing all the time. You can swim out to the reef blocks and get your fill of lemon, sand tiger, bull, hammerhead, nurse, reef, and blacktip shark teeth. You gotta see the shape in the sand, they are all at the bottom or just barely covered in sand but the outline shape is still visible

If you swim further out you can find megalodon teeth, great white teeth, Snaggletooth shark teeth, and mako teeth.

130806._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

This book is a very good resource if you don't already own it. There are more places to dive in Florida than you can possibly imagine. I like that this book breaks down different sections of Florida. Don't forget there are inland dives in the springs when the boats are blown out. There's always some place to dive. :) Enjoy!

There's a limestone ledge shore dive off Lovers Key.

Hi! I would love it if any of you can tell me if sites named above, so by the west coast, can compare with these on the upper east coast, around Jackson ? The only experience I have in florida is there and I am an open water diver. I will be on the west coast for a few months and though I should check if there is diving for me but everything I read doesn't mention it much except a little here ( Best Diving sites in Florida – USA Scuba dive reviews by Divezone ) but not giving much details. I will also go down for a few days by the keys to help people there so I'm not even sure I'll be able to dive there... if anyone has a head on this please share as well.

So, a OWD, 60 logged dive - seen Jax beach sites - is the west coast appropriate ?
Thank you!

Where on the West coast will you be? I went to that link and the Oriskany is the closest I can find to West coast but is is in the pan handle.

I just moved back to FL after being away 20 years so someone can correct me if I am wrong:
For Florida the clearest water is the keys. That barrier reef (3rd largest in the World) stretches up the East coast to Jupiter(ish). Due to the steady gulf stream current, and the fact that you reach 60-80' sometimes within 3/4 mile of the beach, the entire South East coast is dive-able. In general, visibility worsens as you go north up the East Coast of Florida unless you go to way out to 80-100 feet. That is a 15 mile ride from Cape Canaveral. There is some diving in Vero Beach, Daytona, even Jacksonville and a lots of hunters up the coast who don't care about Florida Key clarity; they just want to hunt.

West coast (Gulf side) wise the water is more green. You have to go miles and miles to hit 50-60 feet. Clearwater charter boats charge like $100/trip which is probably to cover the added fuel cost. Same trip in West Palm is $80. There is blue water in the Gulf but you have to go way off shore in the gulf to get to it and it is very deep. I do remember days growing up in St. Pete when the Gulf was pretty clear but it wasn't consistent. I seem to remember the Winter bringing more clear water at dive-able depths.

The good think about Florida is that it isn't a huge State. I drive from Orlando to Jupiter every weekend to dive. Takes me 2 hours. Yesterday I dove with some folks from Tampa. A little bit longer drive but do-able.I can be in Key Largo in 4 1/2 hours. Youtube searches are great for finding out what the dive sites and clarity look like. So just let us know where you will be and someone will know some dive sites there and we can recommend some drive-able sites as well.

This thread reminded me that I'm overdue for a dental checkup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom