Florida Gulf ID wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeslieH:
Er, I'd go with tunicate although I wouldn't be so bold as to specify a genus. That pattern of stellate incurrent siphon openings & a few large excurrent openings is common. Maybe family Didemnidae. Take a look at this:
http://www.ascidians.com/families/didemnidae/Didemnid_greenstar/didemnidgreenstar1.htm
Ooooooo.... stellate incurrent siphons.... yes, yes.... could be a determinant trait.
Like I say, we need to go see for ourselves. Missdirected, where do we find this wee beastie??? Will you take us there??? :)
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Ooooooo.... stellate incurrent siphons.... yes, yes.... could be a determinant trait.
Like I say, we need to go see for ourselves. Missdirected, where do we find this wee beastie??? Will you take us there??? :)
Rick

Yeppers. I think this thing is worthy of gathering a team of diver's to go have a look :eyebrow: My house is always open, so we can sleep here when not searching for the beastie. If he is where I left him, that would be out on a wreck, called the Sheridan, in 75 ft of water, in the Gulf of Mexico.

Here is another one:
P1010067.jpg

::..making note of theopen house..::: We must dive and hang out sometime not at a Keys function.. we live to close together to not have been diving in the Gulf yet.

It's a whistling sponge! It looks like the lil bulbs are whistling.. :D

Oh nooooo..... in this new picture I see some consistent structure in the exit pores, consistent enough that I'm doubting that I was right with my definite "sponge" originally, and that we do indeed have an ascidian! Grumble, grumble... now we definitely have to mount an expedition to solve this mystery.
Rick :)

CBulla:
::..making note of theopen house..::: We must dive and hang out sometime not at a Keys function.. we live to close together to not have been diving in the Gulf yet.

It's a whistling sponge! It looks like the lil bulbs are whistling.. :D

Anything but that darn Venice beach :) I have five bedrooms, so there is always plenty of room here :)

As for the pic, I have no idea why I didn't get a shot looking into one of the bulbs. :ne_nau:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom