Florida Keys Weather website. Inside and out side the reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Balaklava

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I live in Miami, and have been trying to figure out how to use this web site:
forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=GMZ052&zflg=1
"Coastal Waters Forecast for Coastal waters from Ocean Reef to Craig Key FL out 20 NM (GMZ052)"
I mean, I am confused, what do they mean inside and outside the reef? Where does the reef begin and where does it end? As you can see the waves inside the reef are always smaller; it does not make any sense to me, since I don't know what area is considered inside the reef :idk:
If anybody knows what are on Key Largo is considered to be inside the reef, please explain.
Also if there is another marine weather website, please share a LINK!

"Outside the reef" refers to the non-reef ocean, i.e., no obstacles to water movement. "Inside the reef" refers to the area landward of the reef, and most of the reef itself. On the outer edge of the reef, conditions will be pretty much like the ocean and sometimes worse because water movement from the ocean abruptly changes direction when it hits the reef. That makes for far less predictable (stomach-wise) wave action.

When it says seas outside the reef are 2-4 feet, I have found that seas are usually around 3 feet on the reef

"Outside the reef" refers to the non-reef ocean, i.e., no obstacles to water movement. "Inside the reef" refers to the area landward of the reef, and most of the reef itself. On the outer edge of the reef, conditions will be pretty much like the ocean and sometimes worse because water movement from the ocean abruptly changes direction when it hits the reef. That makes for far less predictable (stomach-wise) wave action.

So, they don't mean some specific area when they say "inside the reef"? "Inside the reef" is considered any area by any reef landwards? Be it 30 feet reef or 130 feet reef it does not matter?

Pretty much - its not a real dramatic difference, but the reef does block - as well as being closer to shore - some of the wave action.

If they are calling for 4 - 6 offshore, its unlikely to be 1 - 3 "inside the reef"

OTOH, a near shore forecast is more difficult to predict - it could be 5 or 6' in the gulfstream, but much calmer closer in - also the wind plays a major roll (pun intended!) - 15 mph out of the west or south west can be fairly calm - 15 out of the north, or northeast - no so much.

And finally, sometimes they get it wrong - you go out and the conditions - again, near shore - are much better than predicted.

The best forecast is from someone who is out there where you want to be - not always possible, but - in Miami years ago, when you would listen to the forecast on the marine radio, they would include a report "The Miami Pilot from the Sea Buoy reports sea conditions of......"

Was very helpful - so they don't report it anymore!

Along the entire Florida Keys, the reef edge, or drop off, is about 3 1/2 miles from land. This is typically where the reef drops from about 15-25 ft in depth and starts it quick drop to the depths. I always understood that this is the basic dividing line of "inside the reef" and "outside the reef". If you are on a boat that is exactly where the seas will change, if there is a change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom