Florida proposes closing state parks and aquatic preserves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jumpvideo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Florida's new governor, Rick Scott, and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) are proposing the closing of numerous (53 at last count) state parks and aquatic preserves in an effort to save money in the current budget. Many of these closings would directly affect divers by eliminating dive sites that have been available for decades. Proposed closures include, Madison Blue Spring, Fort Pickens, Peacock Springs, Crystal River Archeological state park and many others.

Most of the closures close areas open for diving, snorkeling, swimming, horseback riding, kayaking, camping, hiking, fishing and other recreational activities. While only a few of the closures may directly affect divers by eliminating dive sites, all of the closures directly affect the local economies of the areas surrounding each of the sites.

You can find more information on the GCD blog page.

Even if you do not live in Florida you need to let Florida's governor and state legislators know closing these areas is not the way to proceed.

Are the areas truly being closed to the public or simply transitioning to passive parks?
Simply doing away with toll booth collectors would not ruin my day...

My understanding is that many of the closures would, in fact, be closures. One of the criteria being used to justify closure is that the park does not generate revenue because they don't charge admission fees. I haven't been able to get a copy of anything other than media articles discussing the proposal.

One article did mention three of the proposed closures would result in reversion of the park back to the previous owner but it appears these are properties that don't impact diving.

I'm still looking for more information.

Last year California wanted to close numerous parks of any sort. Funny thing the park system is one of the few aspects of the California that actually MAKES money. To close them is like choking the golden goose. Granted the parks revenue can't make up a $14B deficit but if these places, in Florida and California,, why not leave them alone. Besides the loss of revenue to the state closing the parks decreases revenue to local resturants, hotels and convenient stores/gas stations. Lost tax revenues too. So many politicians are such bone heads. Why not stop the meal allowance and car allowance to the politicians.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Dive Lvr

Exactly. Closing the parks has multiple impacts, Loosing a dive site directly affects divers. Loosing divers directly affects the economy of the communities surrounding the dive sites and Florida as a whole.

At many parks it seems the entrance fees are only used to build a shack and staff it with someone to collect the fees without much being done to the park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom