Florida Sea Base seeking Scuba Staff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hardin

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The Florida National High Adventure Sea Base (Boy Scouts of America) is seeking PADI OWSIs, MSDTs and USCG captains for the summer 2008 scuba programs. You must provide proof of current CPR and First Aid certification. You must be a US citizen or able to legally work in the US. The Florida Sea Base will not sponsor persons seeking work visas or work permits. Prior scouting experience is preferred. Eagle Scouts will be given preference. Summer staff training will begin on 18 May 2008.

Your primary responsibilities will include guiding certified divers and teaching PADI Open Water Diver certification courses or teaching aboard one of our scuba Liveaboard vessels. Other duties will include giving lectures on various scuba topics, including – but not limited to – Peak Performance Buoyancy, Night Diving, and AWARE Fish Identification; maintenance of scuba equipment; assisting as mate on the dive boats; and other duties as assigned. Generally, you will lead a one tank dive in the morning, a one tank dive in the afternoon and, one night dive per week. Benefits include $300 per week for Scuba Instructors (captain’s pay varies on type of vessel operated) free room and board and medical coverage. The pay is a weekly salary, paid semi-monthly. Hours generally start at about 0730 and your day will end at approximately 2100. You will usually have one day off per week. You must provide all of your scuba equipment except tanks and weights. A pre-employment physical – at your expense – is also required. The form will be included with your application packet. All members of the dive staff are required to belong to our local drug testing program. Pre-employment and random drug tests will be administered.

The Florida Sea Base is located near the middle of the Florida Keys, on Lower Matecumbe Key (mile marker 73.8 Bay Side) within the city of Islamorada. The scuba program utilizes one 45’ Corinthian power catamaran, two Newton 46’ Dive Specials and several 26’ Dusky center-console power boats. The Florida Sea Base is one of the busiest dive outfitters in the Keys during the summer months. Sea Base will have 156 divers (not including staff) per day, making two or three dives per day. At this time, Sea Base does not use nitrox. The Boy Scouts of America National Headquarters has imposed a maximum depth of 60’ for all dives at Sea Base. All of our dives are at protected sites and we strongly enforce the “take only pictures, leave only bubbles” philosophy.

For more information, or to download an application, go to Florida Sea Base: Home Page. You may also request an application by mail: Florida Sea Base, PO Drawer 1906, Islamorada, FL 33036 or by phone by calling Capt. Steve Willis, Program Director, at 305-664-5625 (0830 – 1630 EST) or by e-mailing Steve.Willis@bsaseabase.org.

that works out to $3.44 an hour..for a 14 1/2 hr day,6 days a week,sounds like slave labor to me,expect that in a third world country ,but here in Florida?..even with room and board not worth it.
This shows you why many instructors drop out after a year or two.I could'nt even pay for my equipment/liability insurance/agency dues/airfare with what they are paying.
Any instructor who would accept this is just feeding the monster that refuses to pay an instructor what they are worth.Thank goodness that I am at an facility that realizes that and pays enough so that it is worth my time.Just to be curious,what do you pay a captain with a 100 ton ticket?Around here in NY its $60. an hr for a dinner cruise vessel,to $30. an hr for a fishing head boat.For a 6 pack ticket its $25.-$30. an hr.

While the pay isn't great, I don't think that most people work at Scout Camps for the great pay. They work there because they love the Scouting program and what it offers.

If they had to pay boat captains $60/hour, none of our kids would ever be able to attend the camp for what it would cost.

this is a good program for youth. Most of us that were in scouts as kids would love to be able to go work a program like this.

Grady,
Does that mean you have enough DMs? What is the number of DMs on staff vs. OWSI or higher?
Mike

[hijack]
You must be a US citizen or able to legally work in the US. The Florida Sea Base will not sponsor persons seeking work visas or work permits.
Disclaimer: I don't qualify nor do I want to qualify. :D

The pay is not existent, but that's to be expected with a job like this.

A pre-employment physical – at your expense – is also required. The form will be included with your application packet. All members of the dive staff are required to belong to our local drug testing program. Pre-employment and random drug tests will be administered.
This, for me, would be a major no-no. :shakehead:

IMHO, it's none of your :censored: business.[/hijack]

maybe this is just a European thing, but why would you be against a drug test? Most any job in the US where machinery, vehicles, boats, etc are operated as part of the job require a drug test.

I wouldn't want someone who uses drugs teaching my kid scuba or driving the boat he's on. It's like putting your kid in a car with a possible drunk driver. I would hope you'd feel the same way.

or maybe your reply is just against a medical exam and not a drug test? It's standard procedure for scout camps to require a 'medical form' for those attending. it doesn't have to be a full up physical, just a review and signed by a doctor. (unless in the past years they up'ed the requirement to a full physical). that way if a kid gets sick while he's at camp, the medical staf (doctors, etc) don't know his medical history and their parents typically aren't there. It's bascially a history of your medical issues and release for treatment by the legal guardian to treat the kid in the event of a sickness, injury, or emergency.

I wouldn't want someone who uses drugs teaching my kid scuba or driving the boat he's on.
Define "drugs".

Alcohol is a drug, as is nicotine. Both are accepted by society but a drug nonetheless.

I'd like to think that, as a professional, you're responsible enough to have common sense.

I wouldn't want someone who's under the influence to take care of children but a glass of beer or a joint consumed the evening before would not be an issue for me.

Probably an European thing.

Define "drugs".

Alcohol is a drug, as is nicotine. Both are accepted by society but a drug nonetheless.

I'd like to think that, as a professional, you're responsible enough to have common sense.

I wouldn't want someone who's under the influence to take care of children but a glass of beer or a joint consumed the evening before would not be an issue for me.

Probably an European thing.

Good points. Both alcohol and nicotine are drugs. in the US most companies have policies about consumption or being under the influence of alcohol in relation to work. More and more companies are making tobacco use against the rules while on company property. I think both of these can be linked somewhat to insurance requirements, or trying to keep insurance rates down.

I think the scouts has a rule against tobacco use, but it's hard to enforce. And for anyone who smokes, you can't really "quit" for the weekend while you're on a scout outing. bascially adults who smoke simply exerceise the option of excusing themselves to smoke in private away from the youth.

but for alochol and drugs in the workplace, as you said an adult/professional should be responsible enough and have common sense, but over apparently it isn't.

I'm guessing it all safety and liability related. but I have no problem with it.

Now... I don't think the company should regulate what you do in your home. But most drug users don't draw the line to recreational home use only. so there goes the responsibility part.

Hi Mike....
As of right now Capt Steve has the number of Divemasters needed. Thats not to say he wouldn't entertain apps from those that are Divemasters. There may also be a slot for mates on the dive boats. Not sure of the number needed or whether those have been filled. Boat Mates must hold a rescue diver rating though. There is openings for instructors as used here at the Base. You are very familiar with how things typically are for instructors. A chance to work with Scouts in a controlled setting. A chance to increase your experience & bump your numbers up pretty good. Nice things for the resume' of a new & upcoming Instructor. We have an inventory of boats that is hard to beat anywhere. The teaching environment is among the best I have ever seen. The dive sites are excellent for experience for the instructor as well as the student. Ease & comfort settings for the new students can NOT be beat. Yes this program is geared towards to the Scout participants not the general public. As you & I have agreed on before.... Its for the boys. As far as it goes for a summer job..... hard to beat..... Experience gained in working with students in good conditions that are usually on the GREAT side...... hard to beat....... as an addition to a newer instructors resume'..... fantastic!...... As a stepping stone to further your certifications in the specialty instructor ratings....... beyond compare...... experiences gained by newer instructors by being in a team with VERY EXPERIENCED MSDT's with MANY years of teaching experience........ There is NONE better!!!! This will not be suitable for all instructors... not meant to be. For older instructors looking for a continuing chance to dive & work with students on a relaxed level, great. For an old retired Medic with a MSDT rating looking to contiue the adventure..... can't be beat!!!!! Looking forward to seeing ya'll again, my Friend!!!!!
YIS
Grady

Grady,
My crew has a Coral Reef Adventure in August (080816). (They picked CR before we joined the crew) So perhaps we can have another Boyle's Law discussion during luau. We are going to stay over for a few extra days in Tavernier and do the crew's checkout dives with FlaKeys.
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom