Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is an iffy trip, but some great diving. I've had trips cancelled in the middle of the summer, and I had some of the best conditions I've ever seen out there on the end of October trip that wrapped up their season this year. I've lost count of how many trips I've made out there, but it's easily over a dozen.

It's true that there's not really any diving options that are on par with the FG should the trip get blown out. If you're considering flying in though, there's an abundance of stuff to do in Houston should the diving get blown out - fantastic food, live music, sports, etc. If you spend a little time digging around, you can have a great time even if your gear does stay dry.

I've been blown out diving in lots of places. Those trips have usually resulted in some great memories with my friends, discovering places we didn't know were there.

I’m lucky to live 20-minute drive away from the Fling Charter dock. I’ve been diving for 14 years & went to FGB about 7 times.

If you plan on going there around June-August, you may have a better chance than 50% to make it. I went twice last year in June & July.

I saw these schooling jacks in June 2018 trip:

Thanks for the information. I would be flying in from DCA area. I try to dive off of Wilmington, NC several times a year and we usually are blown out almost half the time. So I always try to have some backup plans for fun. Thank you.

I've dived a few times from Frank's boat, the SPREE, and also from the FLING.

Midsummer through early fall are the best bet for weather (okay, hurricanes excepted), and mostly when I went. As a wild-ass guess, I probably planned about 13 trips there, and made about ten. Not bad odds, and worth it because in good conditions you get great vis, light current, and great coral--the "Texas Caribbean". And on two of those trips, I saw a whale shark, and real close-up too.

And it's not just East and West Flower--Stetson Bank is very cool in a lunar-esque way and hence a knockout as a night dive, and the Captain usually tries to get a platform dive in as well.

I've dived a few times from Frank's boat, the SPREE, and also from the FLING.

Midsummer through early fall are the best bet for weather (okay, hurricanes excepted), and mostly when I went. As a wild-ass guess, I probably planned about 13 trips there, and made about ten. Not bad odds, and worth it because in good conditions you get great vis, light current, and great coral--the "Texas Caribbean". And on two of those trips, I saw a whale shark, and real close-up too.

And it's not just East and West Flower--Stetson Bank is very cool in a lunar-esque way and hence a knockout as a night dive, and the Captain usually tries to get a platform dive in as well.

10 out of 13 is certainly not bad odds. Mine is 50%. Tomorrow is the first trip in 2019 & it is cancelled.

Fling Charters

10 out of 13 is certainly not bad odds. Mine is 50%. Tomorrow is the first trip in 2019 & it is cancelled.

Fling Charters

Sorry to hear the boat is a “no go” this weekend Dan... Was really pulling for you to be able to make it out. The FG are great when they do get to go and a bummer when they don’t. Diving the HI 389 was still one of my favorite dives to date; wonder how different it will be next time with the platform removed. Safe diving and travels!

Reactions: Dan
Sorry to hear the boat is a “no go” this weekend Dan... Was really pulling for you to be able to make it out. The FG are great when they do get to go and a bummer when they don’t. Diving the HI 389 was still one of my favorite dives to date; wonder how different it will be next time with the platform removed. Safe diving and travels!

Thanks! I rescheduled it to June to improve my odds of “a go”. 3 of us are booked for that June 15-16 trip. Anyone is welcome to join us then.

No question, the Texas Flower Gardens is a great place to scuba. Yes it is advanced, self-led diving. Yes there are alot of cancellations. Yes the conditions are unpredictable. Hard to get lost at the rigs or Stetson. The other dives, stay close to the boat or take a good reading of your compass at the mooring anchor. If you make it there, I recommend a full suit, not always for warmth but for protection. One of the healthiest coral reefs I have seen in 30 years of diving. 1st trip 1st dive we saw a hammerhead swim 15 ft over our heads, 2nd trip 1st dive we had a manta ray even closer. One of the best things about the trip was the crew. Bland, scott, JT and the rest really made it memorable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom