Flower Gardens in the Past 6 months?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take it this study is related to the concern that the fresh water plume from hurricane harvey currently headed toward the flower garden reef formation may create widespread damage to the reef system. Can you share with us how the study is set up and how you will take measurements of current and future health of the coral and other marine life?

I am bumping this older thread, but I am venting because I have been trying to visit the Flower Gardens on the Fling this summer, but have had the trip cancelled 3 times. First time was early August, but it was cancelled due Hurricane Franklin. Franklin didn't hit the US, but went into the Bay of Campeche made things too rough. Then I rescheduled for 2-weeks later, but that turned out to be the week of Hurricane Harvey. Very glad I wasn't out there that weekend. So then I had to reschedule all the way to this weekend, and currently the marine forecast for the flower garden zone this weekend is 5-7ft seas... They cancelled last week and the week before that, and will likely cancel this week. So I guess next year?

Personal complaining aside, its been a tough summer/fall for the Fling. Since August 1 I bet they have only been able to run 25% of their scheduled trips. I am hoping that they can hang in there and that next year is better for everyone. The flower gardens has been a goal of mine for the past 2 years.

I spoke to Sharon for a good long time this week. There is no danger of the Fling not being there next year unless something happens to Ken or Sharon. It hasn't been a great year, but good business people plan for that.

I spoke to Sharon for a good long time this week. There is no danger of the Fling not being there next year unless something happens to Ken or Sharon. It hasn't been a great year, but good business people plan for that.

That is good news. They have a unique operation and I hope they can continue for years to come. I am also hoping that something magical happens to the forecast this weekend. I already stocked up on seasick meds!

The weather forecast for FGB this weekend does not look good. If seas above 4 ft., they may not go, but you can always hope the weatherman is wrong.
06CDFFC0-C209-4B4B-A25F-C16FF732C50F.jpeg

I live about 20 minute drive away from the Fling dock & have been diving with the Fling & Spree on / off for the past 12 years. About half of the time of my trips with them were cancelled due to bad weather.

This year, the same odds. Booked for June 24 & the trip was cancelled, then booked it again for July 15 & it was a GO with flat sea like a lake. I think it was the flattest sea I have ever seen in the Gulf of Mexico in 12 years I’ve been going with them. They say, the best weather for going there is around July & August.

DBCB67F6-3D07-4F94-A733-32F48C127D4B.jpeg

Last edited:
Better sharks spring and fall though. The worst luck I ever saw was a guy who finally made it out on his 18th try. That was back when folks would try to go 18 times. I can give some insight to the weather call. Sharon calls the forecaster in League City. She always has. He will tell her exactly where the 4-6's are, where it isn't expected to be that bad, if the 4-6's will last a little while or for 16 hours, and she takes into account who is on the boat (buncha newbs or buncha solid divers). The weather call is rarely made strictly on the NOAA forecast, we have at least 2 paid forecasting providers and NOAA and Windytv and the actual guy at NOAA. Unless, of course, it's a no brainer either way. Then we use the NOAA forecast.
And by we, I mean not me. I don't have to do that any more.

@RayfromTX The lab I'm working with is doing chemical analysis. We are dropping a CTD in the water and collecting samples at various depths up to 200m. We are looking at Dissolved Inorganic Carbon and Total Alkalinity via a VINDTA 3C. I'm not fully aware of what the Biological Labs are specifically looking for

@RayfromTX The lab I'm working with is doing chemical analysis. We are dropping a CTD in the water and collecting samples at various depths up to 200m. We are looking at Dissolved Inorganic Carbon and Total Alkalinity via a VINDTA 3C. I'm not fully aware of what the Biological Labs are specifically looking for
I expect you will be on the Manta. They had a real CTD winch with conductive cable. Dunno if it's still in use or not. They just returned from a weeks long ROV trip.

Back
Top Bottom