Flu-like symptoms after a dive;Poseidon Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello its me again writing from Cozumel! I am very pleased to report that my husband and I went diving today with no ill effects! We have new regulators and had no problems at all. We went to Columbia Deep and immediately saw 2 eagle rays very close by! I was a bit apprehensive after the dives but horray-no flu-like symptoms. Just excitement. I have to thank you again for posting this very interesting thread. It was definately our Poseiden regulators. We bought Sherwoods and yes, we both had dry mouth (which we never had with the Poseidens) but it wasnt unbearable. I think I should write to the Poseiden company and see what they have to say about this. Do you remember the date of when you bought yours? Mabye all of ours came from a bad batch? We bought ours about 5 years ago. Anyways, it has been very windy here all week so we were lucky to have been able to go today. We are here for 2 more weeks and look forward to diving without getting sick! Take good care, Peggyharp!

Hello its me again writing from Cozumel! I am very pleased to report that my husband and I went diving today with no ill effects! We have new regulators and had no problems at all. We went to Columbia Deep and immediately saw 2 eagle rays very close by! I was a bit apprehensive after the dives but horray-no flu-like symptoms. Just excitement. I have to thank you again for posting this very interesting thread. It was definately our Poseiden regulators. We bought Sherwoods and yes, we both had dry mouth (which we never had with the Poseidens) but it wasnt unbearable. I think I should write to the Poseiden company and see what they have to say about this. Do you remember the date of when you bought yours? Mabye all of ours came from a bad batch? We bought ours about 5 years ago. Anyways, it has been very windy here all week so we were lucky to have been able to go today. We are here for 2 more weeks and look forward to diving without getting sick! Take good care, Peggyharp!

Peggy, I am very happy for you. What a relief to be able to dive again without the fevers! It also demonstrates that these forums can serve a very useful purpose. In answer to your question, I purchased my Poseidon about two and a half years ago, new, from an authorized dealer. I also had it fully serviced with this problem in mind after I put 2 and 2 together last December. I would support you in writing the company. Also, I am drafting a letter to Undercurrent magazine to see if they will ask their readers for any feedback from other divers who may have experienced this phenomonon with other regulators. Congratulations on a happy set of dives in Cozumel too. It is such a wonderful place to dive!

Hi, me again, bit more experienced - and coming up against some Poseidon anti- feelings from an instructor who'd had a bad experience, then preaches not using them! I am still very happy with the Jetstreams, never a problem like has been mentioned here, and no other refs. from my searches - but as a user I'd be interested in hearing Poseidon's reaction - next dive show in UK in March - I'll ask more if not heard anything. Ross567

Another sucessful dive day! I have to say that the whole dive experience is different with our new regs-breathing underwater just seems more 'normal' and easier somehow. My husband used to get this terrible heartburn sensation when diving (along with everything else that came later).We did talk to an educated scuba equipment rep who told us that he has heard of Poseidens causing this 'heartburn' and it could be due to the amount of air it blasts into your system. He likened it to having too much regulator for the type of dive we are doing. We've only ever been here in Cozumel to dive and as you know, you just drift along with the current without exerting yourself much (unless you missed the shark in a hollow and have to swim back!). When I return home to Canada I will start composing a letter to the company about our experiences. To think that for 5 years we have suffered (needlessly I think). We spent a lot of money on what we trusted was the best possible equipment. If I compare our diving now, Im surprised that we kept going with it. We used to be such wrecks after a dive-the whole first day'flu' and fevers and shaking and really, we were exhausted the whole trip. We thought it was normal, greenhorns that we were! So cheers to a new chapter of fun diving! We did see 2 large nurse sharks and even a toadfish our last dive! Yay,
Regards,
Peggyharp

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it as a link in the discussion of the death in Galapagos in Oct 2009. Wow, this sounds just like what I experience often on a dive trip. I have Poseidon Xtremes (bought in April 2004) which I really do like. However, I know that they have a slight wet breath. I have the standard Poseidon mouthpieces that fit well with no tears in them.

I have often noticed that my lungs seem irritated and sensitive after a few dives, but I have never linked it to salt water aspiration potentially caused by my regs.

I just came back from Fiji and Solomon Islands. In SI, I had one day (late in the 2nd week) where I had asthmatic-like breathing problems -- I just couldn't get any air in. I've never had asthma at all even though I have allergies to pollens and molds. I'm not on medications and am healthy according to my doctor.

I'm definitely going to try out some other regs and see if I have the same reaction when diving over several days.

Last edited:
Very interesting indeed...I have Xstreams, only problem is I can't remember if I was diving them when I had something similar happen. The shakes, fever bed ridden for about 4 hours and totally worthless. I'm trying to recall but I'm pretty sure I was using a Delta 4 and a Genesis at then time. It was all fresh water diving too and no deeper than 80' at altitude. The tech instructor at the time chalked it up to a CO2 hit and I agreed because I was skip breathing and kinda erratic at the time. I did have another occourance in Grand Caymen using the Xstreams and once again my breathing was goofy b/c I was trying to save gas.

I know the Xtreames will give you as much gas as you want and breath super easy when tuned correctly...so I'm thinking the problem was me in my breathing or lack there of. Just thought I would add this to an already interesting, useful post

I know the Xtreames will give you as much gas as you want and breath super easy when tuned correctly...so I'm thinking the problem was me in my breathing or lack there of. Just thought I would add this to an already interesting, useful post

Agree. Not yet 100% convinced that it's the Xtremes (which as I said, I have loved) and not me, but I will investigate. WOuld have never dreamt of this problem had I not come across this thread.

Hmmmm.... I have an oceanic omega reg which is kinda similar and a slightly wet breather and also returned from the Solomons a week ago and had flu like symptons but it turned out to be an internal infection caused by dehydration....caused by a combination of jet lag, too much tea and soft drinks on the plane, not enough water, not enough water between dives and with meals, I enjoyed 2 Solbrews with every dinner, which isn't all that much, but didn't add extra WATER at meals, that plus humidity, will drain you dry.....try adding LOTS of H20, (more than usual). My fake flu didn't happen till after my trip (thankfully) but I think it was due to all the above. On the mend now and glad it wasn't malaria. HTH (love my Omega)

Hi all,
Maybe this is a bit late for u guys, but not for me. I've been diving with my Xstream for easily 6-7years without any problem, serviced 4-5 times, and the most recent one, I serviced to a normal redress kits (non-nitrox since my reg is the green xstream)
Currently, I'm having the same symptoms and searched for "feverish feelings after dive," to my surprises, saw the word poseidon and the feeling. At first I thought I'm just being dumb by doing 3 boat dives, a sunset dive, and a night dive yesterday, so today I skipped the night dive (I'm in Mataking Island, Malaysia - can't help, and I'm diving Sipadan tomorrow).
This thread really helps, but wondering what does poseidon has to say?
Cheers

I had this happen to me in November in Bonaire. Jetstreams. End of day 2nd day of diving, fever,flu like, skipped dinner, went to bed early. Woke up feeling fine. Went diving. End of day same thing. Fine the rest of the week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom