• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fluorescein Dye

Discussion in 'Training, Practices and Equipment' started by Zi55ou, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Zi55ou

Zi55ou Angel Fish

Divesoft Fluorescein Marker Dye so recently stumbled across this. Has anyone used it?

How long will the dye last? If released at depth (say 40m) how visible would it become at the surface?

2. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

I can't speak to this particular product but I used dye packs in the Navy. It is highly dependent on the currents, surface conditions, and lighting.

Probably not at all. They are designed for use on the surface when you think someone is looking in your direction... like a rescue aircraft or a relatively nearby boat. Relatively nearby is very dependent on the highest deck on the boat that someone is likely to be looking from.

Bob DBF likes this.
  3. DiverDownD3

DiverDownD3 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    ^pretty much what he said

4. Zi55ou

Zi55ou Angel Fish

Cheers for the replies was wondering so as to release some at depth while not causing a fuss on the surface.

5. GJC

GJC Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    They use it to see water flow on dam intakes and outflows. It doesn't float to the surface. It disapates pretty fast.

6. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Akimbo likes this.
  7. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hmmm... did I see Mike Nelson pull this out of tool kit and deploy a couple of times?

8. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    This is what it looks like underwater.

It should be released at the surface if you're using it for signaling. Akimbo pretty much laid it all out already.

Akimbo likes this.