Fluorescent organisms underwater videography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is it possible with "normal" gear, equipment that won't cost a kidney, to shoot videos to bioluminescent underwater organisms? Which sort of gear can be used with a Go Pro if that is possible?
Thanks

By reading this article I discovered that actually it's fluorescent not bioluminescent
Underwater Fluorescence Photography

Anyway I am trying to understand what sort of equipment is necessary. From the same article:

• a steady light source (flashlight) that does a good job of exciting fluorescence so you can find subjects to shoot;
  • a light source for your photography, either an electronic flash with an excitation filter or a very strong excitation flashlight (this can be the same light you use for finding subjects);
  • a barrier filter to go in front of your camera lens;
  • a barrier filter for your dive mask so that you can see the fluorescence well.

Then there should be a barrier filter. It seems the good old backscatter has one for the Go Pro
The Role of the Barrier Filter in Fluorescence Viewing and Photography - NIGHTSEA
FLIP FILTERS Fluorescence Underwater Yellow Barrier Filter for GoPro 3, 3+, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
fluorescente.jpg

As far as I understand, the main issue is to get a decent blue/ultraviolet light at a decent price

Is it possible with "normal" gear, equipment that won't cost a kidney, to shoot videos to bioluminescent underwater organisms? Which sort of gear can be used with a Go Pro if that is possible?
Thanks
I suggest you change the title of your thread to be correct; you'll get more responses.
An excitation flashlight seems to be quite an expensive gadget...
Dual Fluorescent Protein Flashlight - NIGHTSEA
Still, perhaps it's possible to use a "normal" excitation flashlight and convert it to underwater by putting it in some kind of underwater case from an old underwater torch
Let's say this one for example
https://www.amazon.it/Xcellent-Glob...ultraviolet+flashlight&qid=1605562280&sr=8-11
No, don't get a cheap land light and try and put it in a waterproof case; it won't be bright enouigh and it will just be wasted money and frustrating/. But you don't need the top-of-the-line (Light and Motion) light either. Look at TovaTec, for example. Many high-end lights have a UV mode you can use, so it will be multi-purpose.
As far as I understand, the main issue is to get a decent blue/ultraviolet light at a decent price
Get a decent light and accept the price. And if you are reading all that stuff you are quoting, blue is better than UV.

From the old discussion:

Done "on the cheap". Using an Inova X5 UV light, dropped into a housing previously used for a UK 2C flashlight.

This should be a relatively easy experiment to make

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom