• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fluorescent organisms underwater videography

Discussion in 'U/W Videos' started by Sbiriguda, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Manta Ray

# of Dives: 25 - 49
  2. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Manta Ray

Otherwise like you said there are alredy diving lights with UV or blue light features, including some cheap clones on Wish or Aliexpress. I will try to list the options here

Light and Motion
    TovaTec
    UWK - Underwater Kinetics

3. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Manta Ray

Will go on listing the lights later
    If I understand well, there is a third and last option theoretically, that is using an exciting filter directly on a "normal" dive light. Am I correct?

4. АлександрД

АлександрД Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
  5. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Not really relevant. The point underwater is NOT to have a UV light, but to excite the fluorescence ....which works better in the violet, which is why the yellow filter is needed on the receiving end to block the blue so all you see is the fluorescence.
    NIGHTSEA - Practical Solutions for Fluorescence is the premier website, and Fluorescence Appearance can Depend on Excitation Wavelength - NIGHTSEA has the information you need.

6. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Manta Ray

This is actually off topic but searching about the fluorescent species of the mediterranean I found out that there is a bioluminescent one which is very common the jellyfish Pelagia Noctiluca
    Saw it many times in the daylight, I didn't know it's bioluminescent. Indeed "noctiluca" in Latin means "that emits light in the night"

7. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Manta Ray

I believe I found on Aliexpress a light with blue color that might be used for this purpose together with a yellow filter let's say the Backscater for example
    https://m.it.aliexpress.com/item/4001306409336.html

The price is good around 30 USD per light and blue is just one of the possible color options so the lights can be used "normally" and then switch to blue when necessary. I don't expect them to be as good as the best products quoted in the discussion above, but if they are just good enough they might be worth a try