Flush OPV after dive? (+ praise for BP weight plates)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all -

Went diving yesterday and used the DSS valve flusher to clean the inflator. I couldn't figure out a way to flush fresh water through the OPV with water that's inside the wing - is this even possible/recommended? I rinsed the OPV from the outside but when I raise the OPV and pull, I can hear air exiting but obviously all the water travels down towards the hose.

Also, these were the first dives with the BP weight plates and they were awesome!! Just getting 8lb off the weight belt was a huge advantage (especially for my wife-buddy, who usually needs 17-19lb lead) and maintaining horizontal trim was a lot easier as well. My skill is the limiting factor right now in maintaining good trim but the difference was immediately noticeable even for me.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

Hi all -

Went diving yesterday and used the DSS valve flusher to clean the inflator. I couldn't figure out a way to flush fresh water through the OPV with water that's inside the wing - is this even possible/recommended? I rinsed the OPV from the outside but when I raise the OPV and pull, I can hear air exiting but obviously all the water travels down towards the hose.

Also, these were the first dives with the BP weight plates and they were awesome!! Just getting 8lb off the weight belt was a huge advantage (especially for my wife-buddy, who usually needs 17-19lb lead) and maintaining horizontal trim was a lot easier as well. My skill is the limiting factor right now in maintaining good trim but the difference was immediately noticeable even for me.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

Glad you like the gear. The valve flusher is intended to flush fresh water though the cartridge valve in the Power Inflator, however the rate of flow through the tiny hole in the power inflator valve means it will take forever to get enough water into the wing to rinse it out. Just hold the hose against the mouth piece of the power inflator with the dump button depressed. A couple quarts is enough. Orally inflate the wing, Slosh the water around and then hold the wing with the OPV as the low point and pull the string.

Keep in mind that if your wing is not mounted to a plate with a tank in place it will "Z" fold at the bottom and this can prevent Torus style wings from allowing water to move from one side to the other.

*This is normal*

Just chase the water into the top arc of the wing and then down to the OPV.

We do not recommend any disassembly of the wing for rinsing.

Tobin

Just hold the hose against the mouth piece of the power inflator with the dump button depressed. A couple quarts is enough. Orally inflate the wing, Slosh the water around and then hold the wing with the OPV as the low point and pull the string.
Yep, that's how I added water into the wing after I had flushed the inflator. I'll try it again and pull the OPV release with at the lowest point ...

Nope, no plans to take anything apart.

Thanks,
elgoog

Tobin

Hi Tobin:

What do you mean by this? I usually remove the OPV (just the part that unscrews with the pull dump string) stick my garden hose at the opening and partially fill the bladder. I drain it via the OPV or at the inflator/deflator mechanism. Normally, I don't remove the corrugated hose.

Thanks,
O

Hi Tobin:

What do you mean by this? I usually remove the OPV (just the part that unscrews with the pull dump string) stick my garden hose at the opening and partially fill the bladder. I drain it via the OPV or at the inflator/deflator mechanism. Normally, I don't remove the corrugated hose.

Thanks,
O

I meant pretty much exactly what I said. We do not recommend dis assembly of the wing. There is zero need to do so, and it increases the chances of loosing parts, incorrect re assembly, breaking fittings due to over tightening, getting a crease in the sealing washer, cross threading, etc. etc. etc.

Our advice remains the same, leave the wing intact, assembled as it was by qualified people when it was manufactured. Introduce a bit of water in through the mouth piece (oral inflate) and blow it out the OPV. Nothing more is required.

IMO many BOW instructors are doing a great dis service when they teach students to remove parts of the BC for cleaning. Not all BC's and fittings assemble the same way. Many Jacket BC's have fittings that are welded to the bladder, i.e. no sealing grommet and no "T" nut inside the bladder. This is not true of many wings.

Removing the OPV to drain a Wing is like removing the oil pan on a car to drain the oil, just not necessary.

Tobin

...to get enough water into the wing to rinse it out. Just hold the hose against the mouth piece of the power inflator with the dump button depressed. A couple quarts is enough. Orally inflate the wing, Slosh the water around and then hold the wing with the OPV as the low point and pull the string...

Hey, that's how I do it on my Zeagle Ranger!

Lucky for me, I wait (impatiently) for my DSS complete BP+Wing+Harness+Glide rig to deliver, and at least the flushing thing will not be "new". Cool!

Just hold the hose against the mouth piece of the power inflator with the dump button depressed. A couple quarts is enough. Orally inflate the wing, Slosh the water around and then hold the wing with the OPV as the low point and pull the string.

Tobin

That's the problem, right there. Too darn easy. We want to have an elaborate cleaning ritual so we look more 'techie' to the newbies on the boat!

Seriously, the BP/W I have from DSS is ridiculously easy to maintain. I give it a good rinsing with fresh water, then add a bit of Biokleen Amazing Armor to it, let it dry and it is as good as new when I want it next.

Gotta love stuff that works and is easy to maintain.

As for taking it apart, never done it. I remove the inflator hose for cleaning and annual service but that is it.

Cheers,
DS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom