Flying after diving and experiencing rapid plane decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay

Need to dive more!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How much do we know about the above scenario w.r.t. DCS?

Say you're flying long-distance after several days of repetitive rec dives, you've waited your PADI recommended 18 hours, your cabin's pressurised to 2,000m and an hour after takeoff there's a rapid plane decompression and suddenly you're at 10,000m breathing oxygen from the dropped mask. The pilot quickly descends and lands a short time later.

All your diving was no-decompression. You're a 'typical' person; typical health, etc - a model citizen in every way.

What are your chances of not needing a trip to the chamber/morgue upon landing?

I realise the chance of this happening is ~0.00012%, but oddly it seems there's little?/?no robust theory or scientific discussion about this scenario or the severity of it.

Altitude decompression can be roughly modeled with the same models as used for water decompression, although there are differences.

Flying after diving is essentially similar to altitude diving, which is reasonably understood. The no-fly time becomes your last decompression stop. A significant difference is that you're decompressing from a saturation dive at 1 bar plus a deeper bounce dive. You'll be experiencing similar gradients in multiple compartments rather than a single controlling compartment, so the total amount of tissue stress is higher.

As to what are your chances of needing a chamber trip, it depends on the exact amount of tissue saturation. In general, after an 18-hour interval, you shouldn't have over 1.3 saturation even in your slowest compartments, so in theory your risk should be only somewhat elevated compared to a non-diving passenger. Oxygen will help, and so will your timely recompression to 1 bar.

Reactions: Jay
In life, there is nothing that is 100%, but the scenario you describe is pretty close to 100% NOT to happen.

Having said that, let me relay an event that I am familiar with:
As part of our aircrew training, we had to do roughly a week of Aeromedical Training (AMT). This consisted of briefings on Hypoxia, Spatial disorientation etc. These briefings were followed up with practical demonstrations. For Spatial Disorientation, we would sit down in the world's most evil barber's chair. We would then close our eyes and turn our head sideways and lay it flat on our arms in front of us. The instructor would then spin the chair until you told him it was no longer spinning. (In reality, what had happened was that the fluids in your inner ear were now spinning at the same rate as the chair was so you no longer felt the motion.) The instructor then suddenly stopped the chair and you were asked to return to your seat. Your eyes were twitching, but because your head was turned to the side, one eye was twitching up and down and the other eye was twitching left and right. The fluids in your inner ear were spinning but in one ear they were spinning clockwise and in the other they were spinning counter-clockwise. Let's just say that after a step or two, even the toughest in the group needed help back to their seat and most needed to use the "extra" garbage can that was in the front of the classroom.

None of that, has anything to do with DCS, I just wanted to provide a little context. To study Hypoxia, we did two "chamber rides". On the first profile, we would put on our masks and breathe 100% O2 for 30 minutes to help off gas the N2 in our body. We would then do a "climb" (where they reduced the pressure in the chamber) to a simulated altitude of 25,000 ft. In pairs (buddy system), one of us would remove our mask (while our buddy kept theirs on) and we would do a simple test until we noticed something unusual. That was our hypoxia symptom (it is different for everybody and it can be totally random). Once we noticed our hypoxia symptom, we would plug back in to 100% O2 and then we would watch as our buddy did the same test. When everybody was done, the AMT Techs would repressurize the chamber and take it back to "ground level". The second profile was to simulate an ejection at 30,000 ft. The chamber was depressurized from ground level to a simulated altitude of 30,000 ft in less than half a second. The chamber fogged up, there was an incredibly loud bang and sinuses cleared rather dramatically. After everybody indicated that they were OK, the chamber was repressurized back to ground level and we were done for the day.

That evening, the AMT Techs stopped by our quarters to check on us to see if anybody had a DCS hit. They checked us again the next day. We were all cleared to fly home (commercial) the next day, a full 24-36 hours after being in the chamber. On the flight from Winnipeg to Toronto on the way home, one of our group (my boss) got bent. His hit was so bad that Air Canada had to divert the plane to the nearest suitable airport where he was met by an air ambulance which flew him at "tree top level" to the nearest chamber. He did a typical DCS Chamber run and has been fine ever since.

Just because you wait the 18 hours does not give you a 100% guaranty that you will not get bent on the flight home even if the airplane does not depressurize. My boss had about 30 hours between his (admittedly aggressive) chamber rides and his commercial flight.

I would say that the odds of what you describe are infinitesimally small, however, sometimes it is nice to take an extra day and sight see or to sit out the last day of diving if you have concerns.

Last edited:
If your in a plane at 33,000 feet with an explosive decompression, you have more to worry about than getting bent.

Not really in most circumstances. Probably getting bent is going to be your major problem if you pushed the dive/dive guidelines unless someone planted a bomb on the plane or a major part of the cabin broke off. This is an emergency procedure that is routinely practiced and evaluated during commercial and military aircrew training programs throughout the industry. From a pilot's perspective it is not that big of a deal unless there is some serious structural issues associated with the rapid decompression. The seriousness of that emergency is grossly and unrealistically overplayed in the movies, you know the ones where it takes almost superhuman strength on the part of both pilots to pull the aircraft out of the "uncontrolled dive." What BS! It would no doubt scare the hell out of the passengers because of the near instantaneous fogging in the cabin, rapid cabin cooling, O2 masks dropping, initiation of a high rate of descent to a lower/safe altitude, and vibration caused by deployment of the speed brakes to assist in the descent. But, the pilots are trained to handle this situation, and it was actually a pretty boring emergency procedure to do during semi-annual flight evaluations. If it should happen, the O2 mask is your friend, but a lot of people don't appear to pay attention to the flight attendants' safety briefing, so the unknown factor is how fast, or if, the passengers will actually don the O2 mask.

If it should happen, the O2 mask is your friend, but a lot of people don't appear to pay attention to the flight attendants' safety briefing, so the unknown factor is how fast, or if, the passengers will actually don the O2 mask.
I've read that they are not as reliable as you might hope they are.

I've read that they are not as reliable as you might hope they are.

Nothing on an airplane is guaranteed to work 100% of the time, but I personally have a pretty high confidence level in the emergency O2 systems. In a rapid decompression emergency, the pilots have no way of knowing whether all of the passenger emergency O2 systems are working correctly or not, and consequently will get the aircraft down as quickly and safely as possible to an altitude where supplemental O2 is no longer required.

Given recent events on that SW flight that lost a fan blade and popped a window......This thread took on a bit more practicality....Sorry for the family of the lady.

I originally thought this thread was started because of SWA1380...

Did you see the recent southwest 737 interior picture...not one pax had their mask over their nose! Just over their mouths....what scares me the most flying....the passengers and a cat hydraulic issue....amazes me when I'm a passenger during the briefing how people just ignore the Flight Attendants!

This is why I always get an emergency window seat :wink:

To the ops question...it's only minutes before the aircraft is flown to 6k or less, 100% o2 for half an hour to be on the safe side is all I believe is warranted.

Reactions: Jay
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom