Flying Force Fin Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just completed dive 50 with my new Flying Force Fins. I wanted to wait until I had significant usage first. 25 dives in warm water (Wetsuit - Roatan ), 25 dives in cold water (Drysuit - NJ wreck and Dutch Springs). I've used FF Pros and other FFs for about 15 years.

First impressions were interesting: I dropped to 60 feet, (CCV Roatan), kicked gently and thought that I had lost a fin; There was no resistance or so I thought. I looked down and they were both on my feet. From then on, propulsion with both frog and flutter kicks were excellent. Better than the FF Pros. A bit too easy in fact. I had to constantly look down to check that the fins were on my feet! A strange sensation; first time in over 40 years of diving. I'd never felt anything so easy on my calves before.

I completed 12 dives at CCV, then on an afternoon dive, I forgot my fins back on the dock en route to a dive site. The DM had a pair of Mares Volo fins on the boat which he loaned me. What a difference. It was like wearing two two planks of wood on my feet. Yes they worked but an incredible change from the FFFs. I felt more stress on my legs and my SAC increased significantly on both dives. (Thanks SW Perdix AI). I could not believe the difference.

I'm now completely sold on these fins. Dove in NJ (in a DS with ankle weights). Acceleration is awesome - you just have to learn to kick less and know that the fins are really working. That's what took me the longest to figure out. People still give you strange looks except for the other two FF divers on our boat - (who now want a pair too!

Thanks Bob!

Last edited:
If they made them in a nice deep purple, I'd drop my cash immediately!

From an old post. Boeing Wind Tunnel
flying102_be.jpg

I just completed dive 50 with my new Flying Force Fins. I wanted to wait until I had significant usage first. 25 dives in warm water (Wetsuit - Roatan ), 25 dives in cold water (Drysuit - NJ wreck and Dutch Springs). I've used FF Pros and other FFs for about 15 years.

First impressions were interesting: I dropped to 60 feet, (CCV Roatan), kicked gently and thought that I had lost a fin; There was no resistance or so I thought. I looked down and they were both on my feet. From then on, propulsion with both frog and flutter kicks were excellent. Better than the FF Pros. A bit too easy in fact. I had to constantly look down to check that the fins were on my feet! A strange sensation; first time in over 40 years of diving. I'd never felt anything so easy on my calves before.

I completed 12 dives at CCV, then on an afternoon dive, I forgot my fins back on the dock en route to a dive site. The DM had a pair of Mares Volo fins on the boat which he loaned me. What a difference. It was like wearing two two planks of wood on my feet. Yes they worked but an incredible change from the FFFs. I felt more stress on my legs and my SAC increased significantly on both dives. (Thanks SW Perdix AI). I could not believe the difference.

I'm now completely sold on these fins. Dove in NJ (in a DS with ankle weights). Acceleration is awesome - you just have to learn to kick less and know that the fins are really working. That's what took me the longest to figure out. People still give you strange looks except for the other two FF divers on our boat - (who now want a pair too!

Thanks Bob!
Back kick?

Flying Force Fins cost $500.i feel faint.

Actually quite a bit cheaper if you ask Bob nicely for the Scubaboard discount. Problem is they’re addictive. I have five different pairs.

Never use - never tried. No helicopter either.
I do not have flying force, but force pros are easy for helicopter and I've about mastered back kick in them, at least for my purposes. Two options there: 1) using the side edge of the fin and letting it collapse, or 2) sliding them back together sole to sole and then pulling them apart with the top of the foot leading the motion outward and forward, that loads the fin as normal and releases the energy sending you back. Both took practice in the pool in skin gear, and use muscles I was not used to.

Actually quite a bit cheaper if you ask Bob nicely for the Scubaboard discount. Problem is they’re addictive. I have five different pairs.
@Bob Evans is this true? I would LOVE to get my wife and I in a pair of these...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom