Flying with a Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
While reading one of my computer manuals it occurred to me that when flying we should have our dive computer with us inside the cabin because the cabin pressure is higher than the baggage compartment. I have not read this anywhere that I can recall. I am currently re-reading four computer manuals to see if it says that anywhere. Is this an oversight or did I just manage to miss it on several readings and need to put on my bi-focals?

@JamesBon92007 if flying on any real airliner, the entire cargo hold is pressurized the same as the cabin. On some smaller planes you'll have an unpressurized compartment behind the pressure bulkheads, but not on any normal planes you'd be flying on.

The cargo compartment of a modern airliner is pressurized to the same pressure as the cabin. They aren't always kept at the same temperature.

OK, thanks. I was misled to believe that the cargo compartments were not pressurized. So far I always keep my computer/regulator etc in my carry-on but sometimes we buy too much stuff and have to put the fragile things in the carry-ons.

OK, thanks. I was misled to believe that the cargo compartments were not pressurized. So far I always keep my computer/regulator etc in my carry-on but sometimes we buy too much stuff and have to put the fragile things in the carry-ons.

common misconception. Temp won't matter to the computers, but the true luggage compartments are often kept minimally heated *always above freezing, but usually in the 40's IIRC*, anywhere they keep animals are usually kept a bit cooler than standard room temp, but in the 60's somewhere IIRC. Neither are temperatures that any of your scuba gear will care about.

common misconception. Temp won't matter to the computers, but the true luggage compartments are often kept minimally heated *always above freezing, but usually in the 40's IIRC*, anywhere they keep animals are usually kept a bit cooler than standard room temp, but in the 60's somewhere IIRC. Neither are temperatures that any of your scuba gear will care about.

I was reading about flights to Central America a couple of years ago and one particular airline doesn't allow animals in the baggage area during certain months (Summer?) due to the possibility of extreme heat. I'd heard about animals dying in the baggage compartment but didn't know if it was from the heat, cold, or asphyxiation. I can't imagine it gets very hot at 35,000 feet so I guess it happens during landings and taxiing. Fortunately some airlines now allow certain animals in the passenger compartment.

I would carry on my regs and computers, but that is more about theft. If you are forced to check your carry on bag (always carry a set of TSA locks for this scenario), your computers and regs will still be in working condition when the baggage handler in Chicago goes to sell it at the pawn shop.

I can't imagine it gets very hot at 35,000 feet...

That is an understatement. Cruising level temperatures are often -40 and below.

I would carry on my regs and computers, but that is more about theft. If you are forced to check your carry on bag (always carry a set of TSA locks for this scenario), your computers and regs will still be in working condition when the baggage handler in Chicago goes to sell it at the pawn shop.

Aha! I knew there was a fateful reason why we recently had to change our flight that went through Chicago! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom