Flying with a DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, it's the same performance as our Lithium P1. As victorzamora said, it is 10lb heavier, but it is neutrally buoyant. We've taken them on planes to the FL Keys with no issues. So that's an option if you want it, let me know and I can send y'all some info.

What I'd prefer is a loaner to play with at Edd's or CCDS. Well, if you REALLY want to know what I'd prefer it'd be a free Piranha shipped to my doorstep...and I'd settle for the P1 :wink:. Jokes aside, I'm very curious how stable the P1 is (short length scares me a bit) especially for long, straight runs. I'm also curious what updates have been made to the trigger as I didn't love the one on the Cudas. The last thing I'm interested in is the P1 as a backup...how does it tow?

All that aside, the nickel-powered Piranha would make a good third-alternate to the XJoy7 and Aquaprop.

Just shoot me your address and...well, I'll send you a sticker :wink:. If Edd's or CCDS would want to carry my products, there would be a demo or two for anyone, but they don't seem to be interested. There are a lot of guys here in the PNW who use the P1 for long line runs and don't seem to mind it. I suppose it's all personal preference. It tows quite well as it's so small and neutral, you don't know it's even there.

from discussions with them it isn't that they aren't interested, it's that they've never had one down there long enough to evaluate if it is worth them carrying. The Cuda triggers were the issue before because there are many documented cases of stuff getting in there and them jamming, the new one may fix it, no one knows, but since there are no dealers anywhere out here, no one is going to spend $5k on something that may not work.... If you want the cave community, you have to get buy in from one of the big dealers, the two mentioned above are the only two big stocking dealers and demo centers.... Sub Gravity wanted in, so they sent Edd a Bonex. He liked it, so now he's selling them along side the SS models, but that's the only way to get them to carry them is to get them to dive them.

There are a few Piranhas down there, just no dealers. I'm heading that way next month, maybe I'll stop by to see if they're willing to give one a go. However, I'm not really interested in giving them a scooter for demo. Mel Clark is selling them like hotcakes to her customers down there. There's always the chance that it's just not what 'real' cave divers want. Whatever that means.

Oh, I know, I've done it many times before. Like I said, if they're interested in trying one out, I'll leave one with them. If there is enough interest from the local community, which there is, maybe they'll be more interested this time.

I think the last two years have really shaken everything up with Bonex and Suex coming in and really starting to shake up the cave country market. The DiveX scooters have always intrigued a lot of cave divers but unless you happen to grab Mel when she's down there, they've been very difficult to get a hold of for any length of time. Some of the stuff you're doing is absolutely brilliant, so I'm hoping that the Piranhas will help to gain some traction for you in that area. If one gets down there at one of the demo centers it will certainly be on my short list of scooters to try as I'm looking at buying a lithium scooter

Thanks for the insight. Admittedly, we're literally in the opposite corner of the country, so it's out of our normal scope. It's good to hear that people are interested. Thanks for the compliments, we do try to create a good product, even if it's not what people think they want! If we do get one in a demo center, I'll be sure to throw it up all over our social media so everyone will be aware.

I have an XJoy2. NiMH battery. Want to take it to Bonaire later this year. Will it fly?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom