Flying with Canister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Tiburon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody have any problems or issues flying with a canister light? I plan on taking man in my carry on on a flight to Turks and Caicos.

:jaws:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This has been mentioned in a number of threads, including one I saw today.

This has been mentioned in a number of threads, including one I saw today.

I'm trying to sort through them now, most of them seem dated. Thanks anyway!

I'm trying to sort through them now, most of them seem dated. Thanks anyway!

Sorry--I didn't mean to sound dick-ish.

the better thing to do would be to tell us which light you're planning on flying with, and what battery pack is in it... Take a 20ah or 26ah battery pack from Light Monkey on there? yeah, highly likely you're going to get questioned. Take one of their 5ah, probably not....

Sorry--I didn't mean to sound dick-ish.

No worries!

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2015 at 02:49 PM ----------

the better thing to do would be to tell us which light you're planning on flying with, and what battery pack is in it... Take a 20ah or 26ah battery pack from Light Monkey on there? yeah, highly likely you're going to get questioned. Take one of their 5ah, probably not....

It's a Light Monkey 21 watt LED canister light.

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2015 at 03:05 PM ----------

I contacted Light Monkey and Corey emailed me a Certificate of Compliance to take with me. They are the best!

I put my lights, regs, and computers in carry on. I always, 100% of the time, get pulled out for "random" special attention.
My carry on is always opened and usually swabbed while I am given a free colonoscopy and a good groping.
On one occasion, I was told to remove each of the regs from it's case so each case could be swabbed (in addition to the carry on bag being swabbed). I was then told I had to turn on the dive lights to prove they were lights. I only actually turned on one. A DRIS 1K lumen can light. The TSA goon happened to be looking into the lighthead when I turned it on.

I think it's safest to just assume that the TSA goons will always give you grief. Allow plenty of time for nonsense before your flight.

what size battery pack?

1435a310be708788ffab38b9816ef11b.jpg

only good for the 5.2ah and 10ah battery packs. If you have the bigger ones, you are at your own risk of getting a nice TSA agent that you can sweet talk into convincing the "isolation" is actually isolated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom