FMT - Fix My Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouse51180

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am starting this thread hopefully for people to upload photos of themselves in the water where others can review and give detailed ideas\instructions on how to correct their trim and learn from each other.

When commenting, if there are more than one photo posted...indicate what photo you are referencing and or feel free to take a snapshot, throw it into Microsoft Paint (or whatever Apple uses) and draw on it from there.

I will start.
p6200024-jpg.595676.jpg

The issues I see I could fix here are that this was near the end of my dive and I forgot to move my tank to the lower rings.

upload_2020-7-23_8-31-23-png.599855.png

I felt like I was pretty well trimmed out here.

Feel free to comment on what you see in my photos...ill go to the pool, dial it in a little more and come back and see if we agree it looks better or not.

I was supposed to do my sidemount training in March, but that got put with everything else. So while I can't offer any critique, I will look forward to learning from this thread.

Thanks for starting it and to everybody who is willing critique, please remember to do it in a positive way for those for those like @Mouse51180 who are willing to publicly put themselves and their technique out there to improve their diving.

I am starting this thread hopefully for people to upload photos of themselves in the water where others can review and give detailed ideas\instructions on how to correct their trim and learn from each other.

When commenting, if there are more than one photo posted...indicate what photo you are referencing and or feel free to take a snapshot, throw it into Microsoft Paint (or whatever Apple uses) and draw on it from there.

I will start.
View attachment 602240
The issues I see I could fix here are that this was near the end of my dive and I forgot to move my tank to the lower rings.

View attachment 602241
I felt like I was pretty well trimmed out here.

Feel free to comment on what you see in my photos...ill go to the pool, dial it in a little more and come back and see if we agree it looks better or not.

Good on you for looking to get better. I agree the second photo doesn't look too bad, but you really can't judge unless you're looking at a full side on photo and check out both sides. Where are you connecting your tanks to your harness with al80s?

Edit: your valve is rolled outwards quite a bit, enough that the first stage is exposed. That may either require changing where your rear boltsnap is in relation to the valve or a tighter neck bungee. More photos from different angles would help

Where are you connecting your tanks to your harness with al80s?
Being a wider gentlemen...I found that I could put welded d-rings as far back as they would go and as close to the drop down square connectors and this gave me a little extra reach to connect the tanks. I have non-welded d-rings on my hips for transferring the tanks when they get positive. I plan on replacing these with welded d-rings as soon as my shop gets more in. This is a good picture of my rear attachment and yes these were AL80s.
p6200018-jpg.595675.jpg

Edit: your valve is rolled outwards quite a bit, enough that the first stage is exposed. That may either require changing where your rear boltsnap is in relation to the valve or a tighter neck bungee. More photos from different angles would help

I believe on that dive I did make a note that snap bolts backwards and in the wrong position causing the tank handle to rotate. Thank you for the advise. I will post more pictures as soon as I can get in the pool again.

I believe your using loop bungees?

My first reaction was that your bungees are too loose, but zooming in it looks like they are wrapped the wrong direction. They should wrap from the outside around the valve toward your chest.

One for the peanut gallery.

I believe my left tank was low. I realized today it is hanging up on my inflator hose. I think I got it rerouted to solve the problem, but now I don't like the inflator position on my chest.

Edit: It also looks like I left my double ender clipped to the neck.

FB_IMG_1593812490959.jpg

This was my do it yourself self-engineered side mount system. Basically one long bungee that clips to the tank neck then goes through a couple guides to wrap around the middle of the tank and clip back at the front of the waist strap. At the time, I thought it was great!!!

Goes to show some of us do sillier things then others. Everyone should feel safe asking for advice. Thanks for starting this thread.

FB_IMG_1598233468642.jpg

FB_IMG_1598233451772.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom