Focusing issues with the C-7070

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62:
Fota

It has been several weeks since the previous note you mentioned the Mini C focus light, have you had an opportunity to test it? If so, how did it work? Did it meet your requirements or will you upgrade to the Fisheye LED48DX light. I would be intersted in knowing.

Thanks

Jim G

I wish I could tell you!
Dunno what's going on at reefphoto... I placed the order about a month ago and I did chose economy shipment but even so I should have reach me about now. So I emailed them and only got a very unpersonal reply that gave me the impression that the haven't sent it. Instead the sent it when they got my mail. I may be wrong about this, so I sent them another mail and asked just that. The only reply I get is that it is now shipped. I was expecting more from reefphoto and don't know what I've done to upset them or something!? All I've done was to place an order and to post a note here on how much I was looking forward to it!?

Well I guess I will get it in the end of January and it's not really a big deal as I wont be diving until earliest April 2007. But still...

I'll get back to you when I have received and tested it!

/Fota

jlyle:
Why pay $50 for a diffuser? Cut a circle from a plastic milk carton and insert it inside the lens of your Mini C. The alternative is to crumple some aluminum foil and line the inside of the silvered-plastic cone...

Plastic milk caton? The one we have in Sweden wont let any light thru.
But I will experiment some and see if it's as good as the expensive diffuser (when I ever get the stuff).

/Fota

PharmDMark:
I too have been trying to decide on a focus light. After looking at the pictures of focus lights in the article on Reef photo/video, I begain experimenting with the UK SL4 which I already owned. I was able to secure a round piece of a coffee can lid over the outside of the light. The result is very similar to the picturs of the Ikelite mini C with fisheye diffuser. I haven't yet tried it underwater, but it seems to work pretty well topside, especially once I add a WAL which blocks the cameras AF light.

Cool!
Please post a picture of it!!!

/Fota

Fota:
Plastic milk caton? The one we have in Sweden wont let any light thru.
But I will experiment some and see if it's as good as the expensive diffuser (when I ever get the stuff).

/Fota

I learn something new every day! Just find some thin, white colored, semi-transparent plastic and cut a circle to put inside the light as a diffuser.

ejg62:
Attached is a link from ReefPhoto on an article comparing focus lights. Of course the final light and best is the $400 Fisheye FIX Light. If this is correct, there is definetly a difference in the output of these lights

http://www.reefphoto.com/tt/index.php?action=kb&article=14

Jim

That one surely is the best. But it's pretty expensive, has short battery time and expensive to own (bulbs burn out fast too). Maybe it's "better" if used with a 10W bulb. I also know of a person who has drown two of them...

I've now received my MiniC, diffuser and all ULCS attachment stuff. It seems great!
only tested topside but so far so very good. The ULCS attachment stuff for my Ikelite handle are fantastic. Now I can move the strobes without moving the focus light! And with a focus light I don't have to use the pointer light of the strobe and hopefully due to that will be able to point the strobe so I get much less backscatter (major problem in Sweden).

The MiniC was bigger and heavier than expected but it's very bright and the diffuser makes the light very smooth. It's really easy to turn on and off even with gloves. The holder fit perfectly. And the Fisheye diffuser fit like a glove and was secured with an included safety strap. I'll test it some with the camera (in my dark basement with no lights but the miniC) and see how the camera focuses and if I can spot the MiniC light in the picture. I'll also post some pictures of the setup.

/Fota

I have also seen the new Sea and Sea YS-110 strobe. There is a focus/target light built into the strobe. The focus light is in the middle and surrounded by 3 tube lights for the flash. The focus light can be turned on/off with a touch of a button and the light turns off automatically when the strobe flashes. Problem is the strobe must be aimed directly at the subject for the focus light. I do not know of anyone who has yet used the YS-110.

Backscatter is a problem here in southern california as well. On a beach dive good visibility is 20ft or more, and that is infrequent.

How cold is the water off the coast in Sweden? I assume you do no diving during the winter months.

Jim

ejg62:
I have also seen the new Sea and Sea YS-110 strobe. There is a focus/target light built into the strobe. The focus light is in the middle and surrounded by 3 tube lights for the flash. The focus light can be turned on/off with a touch of a button and the light turns off automatically when the strobe flashes. Problem is the strobe must be aimed directly at the subject for the focus light. I do not know of anyone who has yet used the YS-110.

Backscatter is a problem here in southern california as well. On a beach dive good visibility is 20ft or more, and that is infrequent.

How cold is the water off the coast in Sweden? I assume you do no diving during the winter months.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yeah, my Ikelite DS-125 has a pointer light too and I've been using it for focus light. Without that the 7070 wouldn't be able to focus in Sweden at all. In Red Sea Hurghada <= 12m (that was the deepest we got), I didn't have to use it though. But as you say, it has to be pointed directly towards the subject and it also uses alot of battery. I really want to get less backscatter and then I have to point the strobe away from the subject and that's why I want a dedicated focus light completely disconnected to my strobe. I've just taken a few shots of the setup, I'll upload them soon.

The water is ununsually warm this year, I guess it's about 8-9 celsius. My last dive was Dec 10 at then it was 10 celcisus. That was OK with my dry suit but as the general weather is so bad, really windy and rainy I will pass until the conditions gets better in the late spring. I'm already missing it though!

/Fota

Hi,

The 7070 gets loads of help focusing with this focus light and diffuser. I can't spot the focus light on the shots I've made. But, again I have yet to test it under water.

Here are some pictures of the setup.

First a complete setup:
339534311_bcf391a3fc_o.jpg

And a close up of how it's attached:
339534310_4f753ab582_o.jpg

And this is how the output looks like (pointed at my home theater screen). Nice and smooth if you ask me!
339534313_61b4db6159_o.jpg

/Fota

Fota,

Did you drill that hole in your DS125 difuser or do they come that way over there? Mine both have no hole and it seriously limits the usefulness of using them as a focus light.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom