Fogcutter Knife and shears combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi gang;

I was perusing some dive mags the other day and come upon an ad for the Fogcutter knife/shears combo, which can be seen at www.parkwayscuba.com I was wondering if anyone has one of these knives, what the going price is, and what they think of it. It seems to be a neat idea combining the two since there always seems to be some debate as to which one is best to carry while diving.

I would think it would be a much better product if it were spring-loaded so it would open when there is no pressure on the handles. Since there are no finger holes, it might be somewhat of a task to use it as a shear.

Not sure though... maybe I'm just not talented enough...

Combining all of these features into one device means I would lose my excuse for carrying 38 different knives on every dive, wouldn't it?

Oh, no! First they got my Mike Nelson BFK, now they're after my toothpick collection.:wink:

-NOTICE-

The last time I gave my opinion on something the owner made me feel responsible for why their product did not do well. I was called flippant as well as many other epithets. I have a right to my opinion, and I will excersize my right to free speech about that opinion. If you are the owner/manufacturer of this device DO NOT read any further unless you can take CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

My Opinion...

It looks like a gimmick! I do not dive with anything but plain ol' shears and single bladed knives. The Swiss Army Knife/convertible anything approach in a cutting tool is not good. It complicates what should be an ultra low tech system. Redundancy is better anyway. I carry 2 knives and one set of shears. I have yet to use any of them except to open fresh water clams to feed brim. This way if I break any of them trying to free myself of whatever, I have two more chances. If you have only one instrument to set you free and you drop/lose/break it you are in deep doo-doo indeed. I don't even carry them in the same place, lest I lose access to an area of my body for whatever reason. Paranoia is not neccesarily a bad thing!

I asked my LDS abount them (I Liked the "Neato" factor)

He brought some in for some of the local Public safety divers. They all came back - it was thier feeling that they were too lightweight.

Don't worry Net Doc; I am not the manufacturer. I am just a guy looking for the best value for his money. And it sounds like this gizmo is not the answer.

I do appreciate everyone's replies. this is what makes this board so great! Now I just need to find the good eating spots in Panama City Beach for our trip in March. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom