Folding knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isistius

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm curious as to the pros and cons of a folding knives. Obviously, compactness is a pro but I am concerned about opening and closing the knife when wearing thick gloves/mits in cold water.

I was in particular looking at the Ocean Master Server (beta Ti) knife--any user comments on this model?

Thanks

Ben

Isistius:
I am concerned about opening and closing the knife when wearing thick gloves/mits in cold water.

Thanks

Ben
That's the answer IMHO. Can't open the darn things. I have a Leatherman I keep in my kit just in case I need the tools, but that's it for folding type of knives.

Isistius:
Hi all,

I'm curious as to the pros and cons of a folding knives. Obviously, compactness is a pro but I am concerned about opening and closing the knife when wearing thick gloves/mits in cold water.

I was in particular looking at the Ocean Master Server (beta Ti) knife--any user comments on this model?

Thanks

Ben

The "stud" on the blade is supposed to assist you in opening the knife. You'll likely have to use two hands; one to hold the knife body and the other to open the blade. In a pinch you could do it with one but only in a life or death situation. Why do you want to carry a folder? If you want a 'backup' cutter then buy a line-cutter. Knives have their purposes but unless you are planning to cut thick line, or rope, a cutter is better in most cases than a knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom