Follow the fumblings of a ten thumbed rookie.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New ??? for y'all. Can I change my lens? Not for UW but outdoors. Im thinking telephoto kinda thing. Trying to sneek up on some birds tonight, didn't work.

You can change the lens for land and for underwater. Have a look at the Olympus site for what's available in terms of lenses

As regards using the 5060 underwater here are some things that might be useful:

- Set the option for the casing (Menu -> Camera tab -> Accessory)

- Try to learn to get used to using manual mode, you'll be glad you did. It gives you the most flexibility in terms of using the available light

- Set autofocus to spot for most cases (Menu Camera Tab -> AF Mode) on but leave continuous autofocus off (Menu -> Camera Tab -> FULLTIME AF)

- Leave the anti red eye AF ILLUMINATOR off as it can scare fish (Setup Tab -> AF ILLUMINATOR)

- Turn off ALL RESET (Setup tab->ALL RESET) or else all your settings will be reverted to the defaults each time you turn the camera off

- Set the ISO to 80 or 100. If you leave it on AUTO your shots may appear grainy, especially night shots as it'll pick a higher ISO value (Camera tab -> ISO)

- Depress the shutter half way to allow the camera to focus before pressing the shutter all the way. You'll know it's ready when the little green light in the top left of the screen shows

- If you plan to shoot macro get used to the Macro and Super Macro modes so you have an idea about how far they can cover

- Put as much storage on as you can and put an xD and CF card in the slots so you can switch if one gets full - you acn't pop in a new one underwater. SHQ is a good picture size to choose and provides a fairly decent quality (Picture tab, first icon)

- If you're taking shots at night use a light to help the camera focus but try not to get it involved in the shot as it can cause a yellowy/orange hot-spot if it's not white light.
Best to either diffuse the torch light or turn it off/away to take the shot

- If you get atround to getting a strobe and it's slaved i.e. one that's working off fo the built in flash firing. Set the flash to slave (Menu -> Camera Tab -> Flash) and the Slow option (Menu -> Camera Tab -> Slow) to SLOW 1

- Unless you really love them turn of the BEEP, SHUTTER SOUND, PW ON SETUP and PW OFF SETUP modes as they just waste time and battery (All under the Setup Tab)

There's more but get a feel for how it works and get used to using the casing even when you're not diving so you don't waste dive time.

Cheers and I hope to see some of the pics when you eventually get them posted :)

Thats a lot for my simple mind to absorb at once. I have 640 in memory now. Looking at strobes real hard. Been playing with features. I had much better pics last dive using a higher ISO, like 400. All my fish were fuzzy before. DOing pretty good as far as working the camers in the case. Thanks for the input and please keep it coming!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom