Footwear for St Croix shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed to St Croix in October and plan to do some shore diving. We're definitely planning on diving Cane Bay and the Fredriksted pier and perhaps some other sites as well. I would like to find out whether I should bring hard soled boots or if soft soled boots will be sufficient.

Also, any recommendations for other shore dive site would be appreciated.

soft soles are fine, many people get away with full foot fins without issue. just look where your stepping, there are a few urchins in the shallows at cane bay.

Jon is correct, many people do wear full foot fins including my partner. I feel more secure in hard sole booties, however, both at the pier and walking in and out of Cane Bay and other shore diving locations. Also, if you do any boat diving while on STX (and you should), hard sole booties will make your boat re-entry much more comfortable.

Yesterday I went on a dive at Frederiksted Pier with N2 The Blue, located right at the base of the Pier. I went with 3 other divers... one was barefoot with closed heel fins, one with soft sole booties, and I had hard sole booties. All of us seemed to get by just fine at that location... Just keep in mind there is no where to secure ANY possessions at the Pier itself. So if you wear flip flops, nothing stops them from disappearing while on your dive. (Hence why one of my dive buddies was barefoot- and the road he said WAS HOT!) Another good thing about N2 The Blue is they allow you to leave any personal belongings in the shop while on your dive. They offer a guided Pier dive (which I recommend for your first time) and then you are good to go dive there as much as you want and just rent the tank from them for those.... Jenny (who will probably be your guide) is a great Instructor and literally dives the Pier EVERY SINGLE DAY.

As for Cane Bay, I can't say.... trying to make my way out there Sunday-Tuesday and get some shore dives in... which is easier said than done when you stay in Schooner bay without a car... I WILL get out there at some point, and I will report back here with what I find out !

As for Cane Bay, it's a sandy beach but you still have to walk down the hot parking lot and across the hot street...ok for some, but not for me!

Tony, glad you enjoyed your dive with our friend Jenny!

Cane Bay Dive Shop also offers guided tours, and they will also watch your belongings while you dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom