For Sale - The EDGE - vintage diving computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drseeall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
"The EDGE" by ORCA Industries (Electronic Dive GuidE) was first released in 1983 and was the first dive computer to use the actual dive profile, rather than look-up tables, to calculate any decompression.

It is now of historic interest as a collectors item of vintage diving gear, marking the transition from using decompression tables to the modern dive computer.

My 1986 model of The EDGE is now on Ebay
Code:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153545303802

I will ship worldwide to countries that are on Ebay's Global Shipping Programme.

Does it still work properly?

Bob

Are people interested in this computers? Would you use them?

I have one of them loose and 2 or 3 in their original box
When you can't get rid of dive gear, it multiplies.

Attachments

• OldPuters.jpg
    OldPuters.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 125
The EDGE was my first dive computer. It was one of my favorites. I'm just glad I didn't get DCS using it. I still have one, but I don't use it. The EDGE is very liberal and a battery hog. It can also act as a two pound weight.

It does make for a nice collector's piece!

It powers up fine and the display is good. However, it has not been immersed for nearly 20 years so I could not guarantee its water-tightness. They are built like brick-sh*t houses and you could probably run a car over it so I suspect it would be fine.
I've no idea whether the decompression table algorithm it uses is still valid. IIRC it was based on the old US Navy Tables.
I do not think I would dive in earnest with it now but it is very interesting piece of modern "historic" technology.

Isn’t that analog ScubaPro the one the called the “Bend-o-matic”?

If anyone has a pointer to the history of dive computers, I’d be interested, especially the SKinny Dipper. I never owned one, but borrowed one for a trip once back in the early 90s (IIRC).

I've no idea whether the decompression table algorithm it uses is still valid. IIRC it was based on the old US Navy Tables.

It as valid as it ever was, a little aggressive for what divers normally use now. A buddy uses one to this day, I was checking in case he needs a backup.

Bob

Thanks for the info. I assumed modern deco algorithms would be more conservative for sports divers than they were back in the day for navy divers!

Back
Top Bottom