For those diving double 130's and a BP with wing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
How much weight are you adding when diving dry?

I'm working of a DSS medium BP, Drysuit with reasonable undergarments, and DSS Torus 57 Wing for example.

I would like to prepare for the workload of carrying this to the drink even if it is off a boat.

I wear steel HP 130s with either a Viking ProTech or Santi eMotion. I don't wear any additional lead, and that's with an ABS backplate. With 200 Gr undies, I need some air in my wing... just a puff or two to trim out. With 400 gr undies, I need nada... it's perfect.

Bear in mind that (a) I'm in fresh water and (b) I am blessed with heaviness and sink like a stone even just swimming. (Kinda why I took up diving in the first place...) This might get you started, but it's hard to imagine you would need much unless you're a buoyant bugger! :)

You've gotta get in the water with empty tank and see what happens. Everyone is different. I wear a size small undergarment. Someone that wears a XL undergarment will be a lot more buoyant that I am.

You've gotta get in the water with empty tank and see what happens. Everyone is different. I wear a size small undergarment. Someone that wears a XL undergarment will be a lot more buoyant that I am.

Agree with AJ, not something you want to guesstimate. I don't add any weight with mine usually but that changes with undergarments and fresh/salt water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a proper in water weight check. This is a must and cant be ignored as it becomes your baseline for all future calculations.

I use ss 15liters, drysuit with 200g undies with no extra weight. I only add a couple of puffs to my suit at depth to become neutral. Nothing in the wing at all. 2 empty al80's past 9m will make me buoyant. This is not something you want to "learn" on a long deco dive. You need to consider all possible scenarios.

I weight to make sure I'm neutral with the tanks empty. At 6'3", 215lbs, SS BP, all the extra crap, in 39F water, I add 4lbs of lead.

How much weight are you adding when diving dry?

I'm working of a DSS medium BP, Drysuit with reasonable undergarments, and DSS Torus 57 Wing for example.

I would like to prepare for the workload of carrying this to the drink even if it is off a boat.

For me, in saltwater, with normal steel plate and my normal suit and undies about 18-20lbs. In fresh about 10lbs.

But everyone is different. 2 empty tanks is really not that much heavier than a single so you'd might be surprised by the weight check - don't skimp trying to match anyone else just carry what you need.

Even in 104s I don't need any extra weight in my DS, certainly never in a wetsuit. A neoprene drysuit may be a bit floaty, but not sure... that said, do you have LP or HP 130s, steel or kydex BP, neo or trilam suit, and what is your build... I'd suggest hitting the pool. It's what i did...

HP130 - Steel BP - Will be picking up a Santi Elite. 5'10 215lbs Fit

I will be hitting the pool! Thanks Everyone for the replys.

Looks like you're going to be around -30 full, -11 empty depending on your setup (BP, d-rings, buckle, bands, manifold, regs, SS clips, etc.) More negative if you have lights, etc. If you're finding yourself overweighted you may consider switching to an Aluminum backplate. I found myself drastically overweighted with a SS BP and the Al made me feel much more stable in the column. but my tanks are more negative than yours. At your height and weight I'd assume you have a muscular build and may find yourself overweighted. YMMV.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom