For those that have a 19cf, how do you travel with it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastmarc

Just drifting along...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the near future I will be traveling with my 19cf for the 1st time. My plan is to carry on-board in a Akona Globetrotter all of my gear except cutting instruments, save the dive kit and the 19cf. However a post from another poster (actually 2) revealed that they carry on their 19cf, but not what else or what they do with their other gear.
This has me wondering, is my plan the best?

Interested to hear your input.

If you are checking bags, put the bottle in the checked luggage. Remove the valve, pad that carefully maybe put in a small tupperware like container as the stem is pretty easy to break off. I put a single piece of clear packing tape over the cylinder valve hole to keep it clean, but some people say don't do that. I then put a printout in Very Large Font (26pt) inside the bag saying:

TSA INSPECTOR:

THIS BAGAGE INCLUDES SCUBA DIVING GEAR AND SUPPLIES.

FEEL FREE TO PAGE OR CALL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, AS THIS EQUIPMENT IS A VITAL PART OF MY SCUBA SYSTEM!

THANK YOU-
Your Name
Your Phone Number

In the near future I will be traveling with my 19cf for the 1st time. My plan is to carry on-board in a Akona Globetrotter all of my gear except cutting instruments, save the dive kit and the 19cf. However a post from another poster (actually 2) revealed that they carry on their 19cf, but not what else or what they do with their other gear.
This has me wondering, is my plan the best?

Interested to hear your input.

Hi Fastmarc,

I have never travelled with a 19cf. However, my 6cf and 13cf have travelled by jetliner many, many times. I have been doing it for about 14 years.

Here is how "I" do it:
  1. I place it in my checked bag right on top by the zipper. It is easy for the inspector to find.
  2. I NEVER cover the open end of the bottle.
  3. The valve travels with me in my regulator/computer back pack.
  4. The TSA almost always searches the bag and places their note inside. The only contents that are disturbed is the pony bottle.
  5. When you arrive at your destination perform your own VIS on the bottle for FOD.
  6. Screw on the valve.
  7. Transfill from a shore dive tank.
I have had more trouble from dive-ops with their crappy attitudes about ponies than I have ever had from TSA or an airline. That's why I travel with my transfill whip. It also gives me the option of using my pony for practice bailout ascents and then easily refill the pony. Best of both worlds.

Good luck with carry on. Some people do that and I don't think they have had any trouble. They shouldn't, as I don't think it is a restricted item.

People who cover the end of the bottle, have had problems.

Got flashlight? Check for FOD, even with the tape or cap on the bottle.

cheers,
m

If you are checking bags, put the bottle in the checked luggage. Remove the valve, pad that carefully maybe put in a small tupperware like container as the stem is pretty easy to break off. I put a single piece of clear packing tape over the cylinder valve hole to keep it clean, but some people say don't do that.
I was planning to carry the valve in my carry on as well.
I'm concerned about an debris getting in as well. Would it be frowned upon to put the open tank in a clear plastic bag?

Definitely using your idea of the note to TSA. Thanks.

Would it be frowned upon to put the open tank in a clear plastic bag?

When the TSA inspector rips the bag off the end of the pony, I'll bet you that they don't put it back on. Do you trust the TSA inspector to keep your bottle FOD free? I don't.

You need to use your flashlight and check for FOD in your tank before you cork-it at your destination, IMHO.

Definitely using your idea of the note to TSA.

Again, IMHO, the TSA won't read it. And they won't care either way. Their job is not to care for your gear and keep it debris free. Their job is to make sure there isn't a bomb in your bag. I would be a little nervous opening a bag that xray shows has a potential bomb in it. Again, they don't care about your stuff.

They care about bombs or a pressurized oxygen bottle that could leak and cause a fire or explosion on a jetliner.

cheers,
m

When the TSA inspector rips the bag off the end of the pony, I'll bet you that they don't put it back on. Do you trust the TSA inspector to keep your bottle FOD free? I don't.

You need to use your flashlight and check for FOD in your tank before you cork-it at your destination, IMHO.

Again, IMHO, the TSA won't read it. And they won't care either way. Their job is not to care for your gear and keep it debris free. Their job is to make sure there isn't a bomb in your bag. I would be a little nervous opening a bag that xray shows has a potential bomb in it. Again, they don't care about your stuff.

cheers,
m

Good points. Cheers.

are you going to travel with a transfill whip as well? I have never considered traveling with my pony becuase I am afraid some shop is going to insist on VIPing it as soon as i take the valve off, only way to avoid that is to carry a transfill whip with you.

v/r

are you going to travel with a transfill whip as well? I have never considered traveling with my pony becuase I am afraid some shop is going to insist on VIPing it as soon as i take the valve off, only way to avoid that is to carry a transfill whip with you.

v/r

Hi loosennit2,

I know you are not asking me this question.

However, I have not had a dive op ask to re-VIS my pony when they have it in their hands. I feel they don't think it has been uncorked (they assume). They think it has some gas in it, I feel. They check for hydro and the VIS sticker and that is it. I have never offered information. I just smile.

Scuba industry rules are not law. They can ask for a new VIP all day long. I don't need to get one to get a fill--I may have to go somewhere else or transfill.

cheers,
m

v/r
I was not considering it for this trip. Sounds like they won't have a problem filling it, but it does mean my 1st two dives will be done without it as it wouldn't have been filled in time for them. I am taking a solo course with them too, but I get the feeling it wouldn't have been a problem regardless. They were going to do it with a 40, but will use my 19 since it's what I'll be using all the time. I'm tempted to use their 40 just for the experience of it though.

Having a pen-light or something else that fits in there makes it way easier. I bring an endoscope because it works perfect and I already had it for another purpose. I paid $50 for my "high end" one, but they can be had for $15 on amazon.

I've got a valveulator on my pony, so transfill is the only way to fill it hence traveling with the whip is mandatory. Transfill de-stresses the situation so you don't have to bother asking your dive op about filling the pony...and I'm all about not being stressed when on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom