For those use XS Scuba weight on cam bands, how???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just received 2 XS scuba weight pockets

XS Scuba Single Tank Weight Pocket

I was planning to use them on cam band for trim. When I test fit, I find the side connect directly the to buckle fit OK. But the other side doesn't work. This side the band has to loop throught the buckle and velcro on top of itself. With the weight pocket, the weight pocket itself blocks most of the velcro. The cam band cannot securely velcro down. For those of you that use this pocket on cam band, how do you do it?

I am going diving tomorrow, hopefully I can get some quick idea by the time I left tomorrow. Thank you!

I was planning to use them on cam band for trim. When I test fit, I find the side connect directly the to buckle fit OK. But the other side doesn't work. This side the band has to loop throught the buckle and velcro on top of itself. With the weight pocket, the weight pocket itself blocks most of the velcro. The cam band cannot securely velcro down. For those of you that use this pocket on cam band, how do you do it?

I am going diving tomorrow, hopefully I can get some quick idea by the time I left tomorrow. Thank you!

What size tank are you using? What cam bands? On a BCD or BP/W?

I use a BP/W and I find that with an AL80 and Halcyon cam bands I need to really rotate the cam bands as far as possible towards the one weight pocket (so the buckle is as close to the weight pocket on that side as possible) in order to have enough room for the velcro to completely engage. This brings the end of the cam band strap right up to the weight pocket on the opposite side.

If you are using a standard BCD, you might not be able to rotate the cam bands?

PS - I am using the Halcon single weight pockets, which are effectively the same size.

Will have to guess at this as I use a BP/W. If your cam band is removable, then do so. Slide one pocket on the strap all the way to the buckle, then replace the strap. Slide the other pocket on and push it as far as it will go toward the bc or wing. When I have done this with plates and wings there has been a little overlap of the free end of the cam strap with the pocket. I simply cut this amount off (and burn the nylon edge) - this would allow the strap to make full contact with the velcro without loose end sticking up. This description may not apply to your set-up, and for that matter may not even make any sense to you, but before you cut anything test for fit. I am sure you would get a better answer if you mentioned the type of bc you are using (jacket, wing, brand and style, etc.). My experience with different bc s is limited so hopefully someone with broader knowledge will respond. Good luck....

...I think that the HALCYON ones also use a small securing buckle to keep the pocket closed...not just velcro.....think of it as 'Plan B'.

...'Plan C' might be to switch over to Apollo Bio Tank Lock cam bands....which is what I'm using...those don't even use any velcro.

I have the Steel 80 with Bp/W on a Halcyon, using XS Scuba weight pockets for trim on the 2 inch cambands and used the same method as described above. I did need to trip a bit of the velcro to prevent any sticking up of the unattached portion of the cam band and burned the nylon edge to prevent fraying. I do not find that this lessons the amount of hold on my tank by the camband

BEFORE cutting anything test for fit - Good luck

You could try a seperate cam band for the pockets, or hose clamps for a quick fix.

Two good ideas there. I like the extra camband if it will fit and the hose clamps I never thought of. Quick, easy, and Will be secure and out of the way. Just becareful when to tighten em not to have the free end of the clamp sticking up or too close to the bladder. Nice one Mick, that goes in my toolbox for students.

I switched to older Scubapro tank straps that do not have that fastening problem. Once they are correctly adjusted. Their newer straps will probably work also. It isn't easy but after the strap is adjusted, I install the D-ring end pocket over the d-ring and all works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do exactly as RJP describes. Make sure the cam band is *all& the way to one side so that the pocket is snug up against the back/backplate and the buckle is snug up against the pocket. You need to make sure the doubled-over/stitched part of the cam band slips into the loop of the pocket.

Likewise on the opposite side, make sure the pocket is snug up against the backplate. I have to make sure the wing is mostly empty to have enough room.

When putting the BC/BP onto the tank I set the height and tighten one cam band temporarily. I leave the cam band with the pockets loose and slip the pockets into position. Then tighten that cam band.

With Dive Rite cam bands I have 1/2-1" of the velcro not attached when getting things aligned.

Hope that makes sense.

Henrik

<snip>

PS - I am using the Halcon single weight pockets, which are effectively the same size.

Actually, I believe the Halcyon pockets are a touch narrower which makes them perfect for this application and the reason I bought them over the XSScuba ones. Plus I've had velcro come undone and don't trust it so the buckles on the Halcyons were worth the inflated price to me. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom