For Women: Lavacore or Sharkskin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to add a layer of warmth to my core. I have a 3 mm wetsuit, but lately I've been getting cold. I wear a 2-piece bathing suit, then a lycra skin for ease of don and doff of the wetsuit, so I don't want to add too much bulk. I'm also busty up top. I like the idea of the quick dry merino layer or similar material. Lavacore Polytherm and Sharkskin seem to have some good products. Any recommendations which you prefer or have used? Other brand recommendations would be helpful also.

I tried every possible Lavacore piece and finally settled on the short sleeve shirt. That was the only thing that I could fit under my wetsuit comfortably. They run SUPER small though, and if you are busty, you may not like it. They are a pain to get out of, and are really not "quick dry". Best to order from somewhere that has free returns. Or better yet, get a 5 mm wetsuit.

I tried every possible Lavacore piece and finally settled on the short sleeve shirt. That was the only thing that I could fit under my wetsuit comfortably. They run SUPER small though, and if you are busty, you may not like it. They are a pain to get out of, and are really not "quick dry". Best to order from somewhere that has free returns. Or better yet, get a 5 mm wetsuit.
A 5 mm wetsuit is something I'm also considering if I can't find the right top.

I thought Sharkskin was bought out by Bare? I have a Sharkskin jacket, which I love; it zips up the front which makes it easy to don and doff. I'm not busty, though, and I don't feel like there's much extra room in the chest, but you could leave it partly unzipped. I wouldn't describe it as quick-drying.

I used my lavacore with my slipin skin while in Roatan. It kept me nice and warm...but I admit the water was pretty warm anyway. I am planning to try the Lavacore with a 5ml soon here in So Cal as its almost too warm for the 7ml...and I hate my 7ml. Well, when its in the 50s I like my 7ml. I am busty and DRIS did a wonderful job mailing me several sizes to try. Its almost like a micro mini on me, I'm also short.

Maybe a zippered neoprene vest instead? Easy on and off. Only about 1lb buoyant.

There are cheap Chinese vests on Amazon. I have a Lemorecn vest (the Department of Silly Names was working overtime) and it's fit for purpose.

Here's the women's version: https://www.amazon.com/Lemorecn-Wet...rds=wetsuit+zipper+vest&qid=1600459507&sr=8-3

An even cheaper option that appears to be the same thing with a different logo is here: https://www.amazon.com/EYCE-Wetsuit...rds=wetsuit+zipper+vest&qid=1600459507&sr=8-7

I dont know if you wear a hood or not. I dive with a 3mm and noticed I was getting cold in 78 degree water. Went to the local dive shop and bought a thin hooded vest (I have lot of hair), and it worked like a charm! Much warmer now with the same wetsuit. Just a thought.

Maybe a zippered neoprene vest instead? Easy on and off. Only about 1lb buoyant.

There are cheap Chinese vests on Amazon. I have a Lemorecn vest (the Department of Silly Names was working overtime) and it's fit for purpose.

Here's the women's version: https://www.amazon.com/Lemorecn-Wet...rds=wetsuit+zipper+vest&qid=1600459507&sr=8-3

An even cheaper option that appears to be the same thing with a different logo is here: https://www.amazon.com/EYCE-Wetsuit...rds=wetsuit+zipper+vest&qid=1600459507&sr=8-7

Great idea! FYI I've bought Chinese made clothing. I'm usually a L or xl her in the USA. In China I am at least a XXXL.

Great idea! FYI I've bought Chinese made clothing. I'm usually a L or xl her in the USA. In China I am at least a XXXL.
I went up a couple of sizes as well. I rely more on what the reviewers report than the nominal sizes.

I dont know if you wear a hood or not. I dive with a 3mm and noticed I was getting cold in 78 degree water. Went to the local dive shop and bought a thin hooded vest (I have lot of hair), and it worked like a charm! Much warmer now with the same wetsuit. Just a thought.
I used to feel the cold. A neoprene dive bonnet gives me at least another degree. As easy as that. Don't get a tight balaclava - that will be uncomfortable and doesn't work as well. A neoprene cap or bonnet but be prepared to cut a couple of holes in the top so that air bubbles don't accumulate and pull the bonnet into a pixie pointed hat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom