Fort Wetherill Viz - what gives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So a buddy of mine and I drove up to Fort Wetherill this past weekend - the waves were less than 1 foot. Winds seemed to be mostly from the North and West all week. Which I thought would be outstanding. When we looked from the parking lot you could see individual pebbles and rocks in 4 to 5 feet of water.

But when we dropped below 8 to 10 feet the viz was maybe 3 feet - lots of big heavy whale snot (don't know what to technically call it).

Any thoughts as to why? Obviously we dove but it was really disappointing and I thought I did everything I could to ensure we had the best conditions.

If someone came to NJ I would tell them they were just unlucky - but I read a blog where someone from MA was saying this past year (2016) seemed to be the worst viz for Fort Wetherill that they can remember.

Was it just bad luck or is the water changing?

Sorry you came all that way for lousy vis. FTW is "Mama Gump's box of chocolates" you never know what you are going to get.
The main problem is the slit that covers everything. Water action (current) alone is enough to disturb it. I use FTW mostly for test / shake down dives. If I'm diving with a newbie of unknown skills I'll take them there, easy entry and exit. Night diving there is not bad as you can't see past your light anyway. Finally vis can change with the depth. I've been in 20FSW with 2' vis but @ 80fsw the vis was much better.

High tide I've noticed is not the best for vis, low tide in coming seems to be the best time for better" vis; 10'vis is the most I expect from FTW, 5' vis is what I usually expect and encounter.

FTW's claim to fame is it's convenience for training and dive parties, entry, exit and parking are all well suited for those activities. During the season you'll find mostly classes diving there. My LDS has it's New Years Day Blue Lip Dive there every year. This year people complained they couldn't see their compass! (I didn't dive this year due to my recent full knee replacement)

Next time you come here try Newport. I can't guarantee you'll have great vis but you will most likely have better. The bottom around Newport is mostly seaweed covered rocks and sand very little slit. It does face dead south so it is subjected to winds and swells. Often what is floating in the water around Newport are seaweed chucks. On rare days/nights I've encountered >25'vis around Newport! Expect 10'vis normally.

Last edited:
I started diving again last summer and did all of it at FTW (7 dives). Vis was never great, 3-10' at best, but I had no point of reference as I hadn't dove this far north before. Still, it was great getting wet and checking out different sea life than what I'm used to.

After Dark, I just moved to Portsmouth and you caught my attention with the Newport recommendation. Where are the best locations? Someone had mentioned King's Beach in passing but gave me no real info. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik

I've been to Ft. Wetherill 2 or 3 times over the years with OK viz.--Trying to remember--maybe 10'?

I started diving again last summer and did all of it at FTW (7 dives). Vis was never great, 3-10' at best, but I had no point of reference as I hadn't dove this far north before. Still, it was great getting wet and checking out different sea life than what I'm used to.

After Dark, I just moved to Portsmouth and you caught my attention with the Newport recommendation. Where are the best locations? Someone had mentioned King's Beach in passing but gave me no real info. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik

In Newport I usually head to Fort Adams, Green Bridge, Van Zandt Pier, or Kings Beach. The LDS I DM at uses Kings Beach a lot for the OW dives. Fairly easy entry but a bit rocky. Lots of walls and rock formations to check out. But, it's south facing as mentioned in a previous post so it can get choppy at times.

This is a video I shot a couple of years ago. This is what a good day at GB looks like. The swim out and back is best done on a snorkel. It is a large area, so there is quite a bit of variety and is lightly dived.

Resqdivemedic, thanks for the list of sites. Yea, I can see how Kings Beach could be choppy, but based on CT-Rich's videos, well worth it on the right days. The 2015 video put any of my FTW dives to shame. Especially my deep dive for AOW. 2-3' viz at 70' depth. Need to find myself a dive buddy this spring so I can try out these sights.
Thanks again for the input and the great videos.

Erik

RIHappyDiver, Resqdivemedic, covered it pretty well. Ft Adams, IMO the best site there is the East Passage which is in the "back" of Ft Adams. IMO the very best spot there is in front of Hammersmith farm, it does require a walk down and back up a pretty steep goat path along the chain link fence. There are other easier spots back there also. Diving at the beach is pretty dull. When the wind is out of the south and west FT Adams is a good alternative.
Another nice site is Beavertail point Jamestown but it's tough and can be a dangerous place. It is much harder to get a good diving day there but worth it when you do.

When you are ready to dive let me know we'll dive some of these places.

Thanks AfterDark, I really appreciate that! I'm hoping to start up again sometime in May, and will be in touch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom