Fossils in Caloosahatchee or Peace River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wormzer

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone searched for fossils in the Caloosahatchee or Peace River? If so, what's the skinny?

Yes. I've not personally searched for fossils in the Caloosahatchee, but I know others have. Fossils are to be found in all the rivers and streams of Florida. The Caloosahatchee is probably not your best bet. Folks are searching in the Peace River quite frequently. I've done a little fossiling in the Peace with a screen box and shovel and found a few, but I do much better diving Venice. I like taking a kayak on the Peace while wearing a 3/2 wet suit when looking for fossils. Most fossilers use canoes for the extra room, but I tie the screen box on the back of the kayak with my buddy line, it works beautifully.

Has anyone searched for fossils in the Caloosahatchee or Peace River? If so, what's the skinny?
The Peace River is much better in find fossils than the Caloosahatchee, The Caloosahatchee is hard to find fossils, there are areas but it takes a lot of time to search those areas out. Best place is by Labelle area, I believe it off SR 29 boat ramp West of Bridge. Head East about 1 mile look on the river banks on the south side. Lots of big boats go through there and just keep your eye on them because most of the time they can see you. With all the wake from the boats some fossils do turn up from time to time.
Peace river is really very low right now, many places to find fossils. Just about every screen will have fossil in it. I do most of my collecting in the peace river durning the winter months because it is so low and the vis is much better. I love to go and see what mother nature has left behind of me. Happy collecting and make it a safe one.

Thanks for the info. Since I live right on the Caloosahatchee (Ft Myers), I was hoping I could jump off the seawall and find fossils.

What are the most common fossils found in the Peace river, other than really old ones?

Thanks for the info. Since I live right on the Caloosahatchee (Ft Myers), I was hoping I could jump off the seawall and find fossils.

What are the most common fossils found in the Peace river, other than really old ones?
Anything goes on the Peace! It depends on the area or county that you are collecting in. Most of the time its shark teeth, horse, bison,tapair,mammoth,camel,capybara,bear, cat,(saber)giant armadillo,glyptondont,gator,turtle. The list is endless. Does this help.

please delete

Last edited:
If I could recommend a decent book, "Fossiling in Florida" by Mark Renz.
Pretty entertaining and well written, but very informative as well. Helped me with location, identification, and also education in a little bit of Florida pre-history.

Disclaimer: I'm only acquainted with Mark and have nothing to gain from pushing his book. I found it helpful as a newb fossil hunter.

ISBN 0813016770

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom