FOUND! The final resting place of Tutankhamen: HMS P311, the WW2 submarine lost with 71 sailors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pierre-sifnos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A message Massimo Domenico Bondone received from a family member of one of the lost seamen reads as follows:

"Sir on behalf of the family of Able Seaman L Auty, I would like to thank you for finding HMS P311 and the care and respect that you have shown to those that perished. You have my grateful respect."

Giving the lost seamen's families closure, to help them know where they loved ones are after 73 years, is the most important element of this discovery, in my opinion.

Full story and underwater photos: http://ow.ly/TRNM300BvKg1.jpg

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 133
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 154
Nothing compares to the feeling of bringing lost sailors home. Being in 350ft of water makes exploration a challenge even in the warm Mediterranean Sea. Another great find by Mr. Bondone.

great news....thanks for sharing.

Massimo Bondone has done a great job, with utmost respect to the lost sailors. May they now rest in peace, with their families having at last, after 73 years, peace of mind...

I am in the process of writing a moving story on the human face of war after speaking to a lost sailor's family member, the loss o a family member and the uncertainty for decades. I will post it here, because it is a very touching narrative and it highlights the suffering war causes.

The 73 year Odyssey of a lost seaman's family and the submarine lost in 1943

Full story: Pierre Kosmidis Πιερ Κοσμίδης: The 73 year Odyssey of a lost seaman's family and the submarine lost in 1943

"One thing I will mention, I went to the Royal Navy Memorial at Southsea, as soon as I saw his name my eyes watered and I had to look away and compose myself, quite a reaction for someone that died before I was born.

I always wanted to know what happened and I am delighted that their story won't be forgotten."

per5.JPG
per2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom