found wreck...need ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bell47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We found a wreck and cant find any info on it. It's not on any chart that I've seen. It's not listed on any wreck list or website that I've seen. We found two riveted boilers and found an anchor. The anchor is a "navy stockless" anchor of about 2200 lbs( I compared it to ones on the tall ship "Bounty" and its almost identicle. There is anchor chain and the "tube" that it went through. The "tube" from the deck to where the anchor hung is about ten feet long. There are several pieces of deck machinery including a big winch. One piece has a big bronze shaft about 4 inches in diameter and about 4-5 feet long--what would that be? We also found an intact glass vase, or wine decanter(not sure) so we thought it may have had passengers.(?). We found a couple of old brass/bronze valves(steam, water???) that say Kennedy Valve on them. We have not found a propeller or side paddle frames so maybe it was a schooner with some steam machinery, but would it have two boilers?? The mostly intact boiler is about eight feet long and about 6 feet in diameter. Any info on where to look for info would really be appreciated. It's on the coast of Maine. Thanks for any info.

Have you found the actual hull outline? Have you done a full survey of the site? Are you able to judge approx length and width of the vessel? The reason I ask is that another likely scenario is that it's not really a wreck but maybe a dumping spot?

Had a friend report a new wreck a few years back down here in a very heavily dived area... turns out it was not a ship but old fiberglass boat molds that were dumped and crusted up enough to look like wreck.

How exciting! Please keep us appraised of the situation as it unfolds.

BTW, how deep are you operating at?

Kennedy Valve has been in business in NY since 1877. Maybe someone there could ID a detailed photo of the valve and at least tell you the time frame it was made, this would help narrow your window of manufacture.

On a related side note; in a recent episode of NCIS a person was murdered by having their head smashed with some sort of valve. From a simple imprint in the victims head they were able to run a computer analysis and narrow it down to a specific valve from a specific manufacturer. Further they were able to pinpoint the types of ships it was installed on including a certain class British Navy Destroyer of which there was exactly one docked in Washington at the time. They search engine room, find the valve and of course it has blood on it. Mystery solved. Naturally, this only took McGee about 60 seconds on his crazy computer, far-fetched, yes, but in theory the process of deduction is sound.

A riveted boiler would have most likely been built sometime prior to 1940 when welding became the industry standard for shipbuilding.

Careful analysis of the boilers should reveal a manufacturers plate. Typically made of brass these tend to survive extended immersion in seawater.

Take some time and carefully scape any growth from the boilers and work to find the tag. This would be very useful in tracking down the manufacturer of the ship and eventually the ship's name.

***Disclaimer*** I am not a Underwater Archeologist, NOR did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night... some of these folks may take extreme offense at disturbing any portion of the wreck, especially it turns out to be historically significant or a war grave of some such.

We have not found a hull outline. Probably won't,The area has big boulders, and heavy surf. The anchor and deck equipment are shallow 20-40 feet and the boilers are out deeper. We think the ship hit this "wall" of a cliff and sank on the slope under it. It would have been beat to pieces here over the years. The hawse pipe, anchor, chain, and winch are only about 10-15 yards out from the shore/rocks. We've found some old plate iron/steel in the sand at the bottom of the slope, but no intact pieces of a hull. There may be more covered in the sand. How long have "navy stockless" anchors been used? Also, we thought that maybe it was a wood hulled ship. We have found NO iron beams that would suggest an iron frame.

Thanks WetDawg. I've looked over the mostly intact boiler and did not see a data tag. Do you know where on the boiler they typically put them? I found Kennedy valve online but have not contacted them. Probably later today.

Back
Top Bottom