Four dive days in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Nice weather. Started on the Adolphus Busch with Looe Key dive resort. Well, “fine” dive with that crew on the wreck and then and on Looe Key. Used that operation because they went to the Adolphus on the day we had planned to go. 400lb Goliath at the wreck; no current but off and on good viz.

Then on to two EXCELLENT dive operators: Captain Hook’s in Marathon and Key Dives in Islamorada. Really top of the line. Both operations put guides in the water. Both operations with super nice and super careful crews. The Marathon dives were beautiful. Shallow reefs. Really enjoyed Donut Hole and Coffins Patch. The Cpt let us stay in the water for an hour. Totally relaxed but professional. I highly recommend Captain Hook’s in Marathon. Brad, Vi, and Cpt Will were a great team.

The dives with Key dives were deeper reefs with “Marilyn’s mounds” (who makes up these names?) which was really teeming with life. A friendly nurse shark kept circling us. Rays, mackerel, spotted eels, and a scorpion fish, to name a few. The second reef “Leaping mackerel” had a huge eagle ray, lion fish, and lots of reef fish. We are diving the Eagle wreck and a reef with them on Saturday so they kept our gear—rinsed it—and will have it ready for us tomorrow on the boat. Great service. Jenn was an excellent guide.

Dive with Key Dives and Captain’s Hook and you will have an enjoyable experience and not break the bank!

Photos when I catch a second.

Thanks for posting, brother. Appreciate the scoop.

Thanks for posting, brother. Appreciate the scoop.

You are welcome but you can call me “sister”

Usually my husband and I dive in Cozumel in Oct. I am worried about traveling so far from home during this pandemic. We are now checking out Florida destinations. I have never been diving in Florida, and just began scouring the internet. From what I see on various websites, it looks like most Florida dive ops have massive boats, which I am afraid means several divers. Did you ever feel like you were on a cattleboat with any of these dives?

From what I see on various websites, it looks like most Florida dive ops have massive boats, which I am afraid means several divers. Did you ever feel like you were on a cattleboat with any of these dives?

There are "6packs" too, Quiescence is a reputable one in the Key Largo area. You can also call ops you're interested in to see if they are limiting the capacity on their boats, in the June-July time frame that appeared to be pretty common in the South FL area.

Usually my husband and I dive in Cozumel in Oct. I am worried about traveling so far from home during this pandemic. We are now checking out Florida destinations. I have never been diving in Florida, and just began scouring the internet. From what I see on various websites, it looks like most Florida dive ops have massive boats, which I am afraid means several divers. Did you ever feel like you were on a cattleboat with any of these dives?

The only good aspect of COVID is that there are a lot less divers on each boat. Lots of room for gear, for suiting up, for exploring without having someone swimming on top of you. The only chaotic dive was the Eagle wreck. A poor diver who caused some issues; a fishing boat tied to the wreck bouy which required all the divers to jump in the current and swim to the down line (not bad, just a bit chaotic) and a terrible DM called Justin. For the most part, right now in Florida, Scuba is great. Just pick great dive ops, ask how many they take out, and stick to smaller boats. Most of my dives involved 10 divers...the Eagle dive being the exception.

Usually my husband and I dive in Cozumel in Oct. I am worried about traveling so far from home during this pandemic. We are now checking out Florida destinations. I have never been diving in Flo rida, and just began scouring the internet. From what I see on various websites, it looks like most Florida dive ops have massive boats, which I am afraid means several divers. Did you ever feel like you were on a cattleboat with any of these dives?

one more note...I would dive Key Largo. In my opinion, I believe the coral is healthier and the fish are more plentiful than Islamorada. I was also pleasantly surprised by Marathon (Captain Hook)—shallow reefs but pretty and full of life.

Loose Key, Marathon, Islamorada. Water 87F

Attachments

• 0D79D0C1-EDCD-4550-A769-64A3D9516C79.jpeg
    0D79D0C1-EDCD-4550-A769-64A3D9516C79.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 113
  • B4F79139-B9B5-47D9-8CDA-C074E49D817B.jpeg
    B4F79139-B9B5-47D9-8CDA-C074E49D817B.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 63524821-14AC-4CB6-ADD0-4B25AD6C4A0F.jpeg
    63524821-14AC-4CB6-ADD0-4B25AD6C4A0F.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 115
  • AD095481-9A96-4C6D-96F9-90620A4F641C.jpeg
    AD095481-9A96-4C6D-96F9-90620A4F641C.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 117
  • B85237A0-803B-4B1B-84DA-A3BF53544042.jpeg
    B85237A0-803B-4B1B-84DA-A3BF53544042.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 83514703-9396-4441-9F92-19013347A4B6.jpeg
    83514703-9396-4441-9F92-19013347A4B6.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 107
Thanks you so much @Catito and @Skeptic14 for the info. It is exactly what I was looking for:)

Check out Adventure Watersport Charters' Dry Tortugas trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom