Four Star LOBs in RA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Four Kings people:

My sciatica is getting better slowly. We hope to get back out there this Fall.

We have had excellent experiences on Mermaid I, but she is pretty much booked-up in the Fall and into next year. Wanted to ask if some of you may know of some good four star boats out there doing Raja Ampat this Fall. At least we can keep looking, or maybe get our names on some wait-lists in event of any cancellations.

Being (ahem) older and wanting a but more assistance and comfort, we are only interested in something comparable to Mermaid. So here is what we liked about that boat that we would be looking for:

Easy ins and outs. Just a few steps from the dive deck down to the boat.
One step into the tender with staff to lean on
They carry our gear into the tender
They are OK with my large (40 cf / 6L) pony tank
Showers on the dive deck
Enough room on the dive deck for gear, guests, and staff
The staff is 100% for you!
Good food - doesn't have to be "fine dining", but not crap and not too repetitive
Aircon (working) in the cabins
Beds not bunks
Dive guides that are competent with hand signals, help you stay with the group, and good at finding things
Good coffee
Price is definitely a consideration. yeah..

We are not photogs per se, in fact we prefer to NOT dive with the obsessed photogs. Boats and trips that cater especially to photogs are probably not our thing.

I am OK if some LOB owners answer this post BUT I am most interested and will pay the most attention to those of you that have actually been on the boat as guests.

Thank you in advance.

Bill & Emily

Hello Four Kings people:

My sciatica is getting better slowly. We hope to get back out there this Fall.

We have had excellent experiences on Mermaid I, but she is pretty much booked-up in the Fall and into next year. Wanted to ask if some of you may know of some good four star boats out there doing Raja Ampat this Fall. At least we can keep looking, or maybe get our names on some wait-lists in event of any cancellations.

Being (ahem) older and wanting a but more assistance and comfort, we are only interested in something comparable to Mermaid. So here is what we liked about that boat that we would be looking for:

Easy ins and outs. Just a few steps from the dive deck down to the boat.
One step into the tender with staff to lean on
They carry our gear into the tender
They are OK with my large (40 cf / 6L) pony tank
Showers on the dive deck
Enough room on the dive deck for gear, guests, and staff
The staff is 100% for you!
Good food - doesn't have to be "fine dining", but not crap and not too repetitive
Aircon (working) in the cabins
Beds not bunks
Dive guides that are competent with hand signals, help you stay with the group, and good at finding things
Good coffee
Price is definitely a consideration. yeah..

We are not photogs per se, in fact we prefer to NOT dive with the obsessed photogs. Boats and trips that cater especially to photogs are probably not our thing.

I am OK if some LOB owners answer this post BUT I am most interested and will pay the most attention to those of you that have actually been on the boat as guests.

Thank you in advance.

Bill & Emily
Blue Manta, Dewi Nusantara

Look at the Blue Manta and sister ships. We did both Mermaid and Black Manta, preferred eating outside on BM , but the food was better on Mermaid.

So glad that your back is improving.

I loved my experience on Desi Nusantara but there's a long staircase involved on the outside of the ship down to the pangas. Divers don't have to don their bcd and tanks to go up and down to best of my recollection. Still things could be a bit chance from time to time, mostly stepping in and out of the little pangas. Backroll was required out of the pangas.

I loved my experience on Desi Nusantara but there's a long staircase involved on the outside of the ship down to the pangas. Divers don't have to don their bcd and tanks to go up and down to best of my recollection. Still things could be a bit chance from time to time, mostly stepping in and out of the little pangas. Backroll was required out of the pangas.

This (long stair case and issues getting in and out) is exactly what I DON'T want!

Thanks Chilly

- Bill

Blue Manta, Dewi Nusantara

Dewi Nusantrara looks to be out of our league financially. I calculated about $739 per pax per day. We need to get closer to $500. Of course we actually do not have many choices left - most boats are booked up on this time period.

- Bill

Bill - If you are flexible regarding your schedule, get on the waiting list. Its surprising that cancelations are more common that one would expect. Its great to find out that you back is on the mend. Best to Emily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom