"Fox" Modified Liberty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zzRONIzz

Registered
Reaction score
On a stupid boat in the middle of the Bering Sea
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey rebreather divers of SB,

Do any of y'all have experience diving a Hawaiian "Fox" modded liberty? Or un-modifying one back to stock? I am interested in hearing others experiences regarding this subject.

From what have heard from a few friends who dive libertys the modifications are a severe downgrade from the default configuration. I have recently purchased a used liberty for a decent price considering it has these mods and not factory hardware. Other than that the unit looks in good shape with minimal signs of use. I intend to work on returning it to it's stock configuration in the near future. This would following getting it dive-able (service and electronics upgrade) and taking the training course as my top priorities.

Modifications: Aftermarket BPW with divesoft STA (#8132), regulator switched to apeks DST without the turret that attaches it to divesoft backplate (standard disposable OPV is present in place of the one built in with the turret), and tanks swapped for aluminum 23cuft with thermo valves vs inline.

None of the modifications seem like it would stop the unit from being dive-able once it is serviced by the factory. It doesn't seem like it would cause any safety concerns as the breathing loop itself is untouched. I would expect it to have inconveniences in use, such as no stand to use during setup and different bouyancy characteristics at the worst. My only concern would be that I have heard older libertys, including the hawaiian ones, can have problems with the electronics which were fixed in future iterations hence why I will 100% opt for the electronics upgrade.

There is very little info on this subject online, especially since the progenitor of the modifications is no longer in business. I am interested in the people's experiences with these types of modifications and how they impacted their diving experience or getting the unit refurbished. I do not intend for this post to focus on the drama pertaining to the origin of the modifications. Any suggested reading or perspectives would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fox modified? I thought you had found some way to get the rebreather to hate democrats, wear a stupid bow tie, and complain about immigrants.

Haha, I was referring to the modifications by the ex-instructor Darren Fox. I'm just trying to hear about anyone's experience with a unit modified by his shop just so I know what to expect with the used unit I have. Was trying to be anti-dramatic and avoid that side of the issue. Mainly interested in hearing different perspectives on the modifications.

Back
Top Bottom