?? Fraud Craigslist.com Memphis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefdiver77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a digital uw camera with strobe and check craigslist everyday and thought I had hit the mother lode when I saw the following:

Everthing in pictures included ,, start with canon 20d,with canon 17-85 lens,3 batt. charger,books, then the housing ,,ikelite 20d housing ttl model the newest,,then the ikelite lens port with cover for the 17-85 lens ,,then the strobe ds-125 with quick charge ,,ttl cord ,, then a ikelite hard case too hold everything everything is in great shape everything works no problem what so ever the onlt reason up for sell if i sell it moving to canon 5d Will sell only as a kit!

I emailed him and got the following response (Note, this was in the Memphis Craigslist!!)
Hi there,

I still have the Kit. But the thing is that i'm in the U.K. for my school ( i have the gear with me), if you're still interested in the sale please let me know and maybe we can work something out . So drop me a line if you're up for grabbs!
Thank you!

Does this sound 'fishy" no pun intended, to anyone but me??

VERY fishy...

I think I saw the same ad on Vancouver Craigslist a month or so ago... sounds a little too sketchy to me.

I saw it too in College Station and Dallas. If it sounds too good to be true....

Okay my opinion is a little different from the rest here. It's always suspicious to do business with someone internationally, and as a rule I don't do this, especially on Craigslist. However, this is not an item that would be common with fraud. The real question is on how they want to finance the transaction. Watch out for: Western Union transactions, online gold transactions, direct wire transfers, or some form of auto draft. These are all red flags. PayPal is safer, and your credit card may give you additional protection, but even this can be problematic. You have more protection via this format, but you might have to wait to get your money back if it turns out to be a fraudulent deal.

It's on Houston's Craiglist and another one, I think NY, but for $1000. The price different to me alone screams SCAM!

I've bought and sold lots of stuff internationally, some of it quite expensive. Touch wood - I have yet to get burned. Forums like this one give you comfort, as does the feedback process inherent in ebay. Craigslist is tougher to get comfortable with on a transaction of this size.

Two thoughts:

- firstly is probably an obvious one. Don't do it if you would suffer considerable hardship if the deal went completely down the drain (ie: kids couldn't eat!)

- and two, has anyone ever tried one of the 'escrow services?' For large ticket items, it might be the way to go.

Here's a cut and paste from 'escrow.com'

Escrow.com adds trust to the transaction

Escrow.com reduces the potential risk of fraud by acting as a trusted third party that collects, holds and disburses funds according to Buyer and Seller instructions. Escrow services are provided by a licensed and regulated escrow company.

* When to use Escrow.com: Escrow is well-suited for items purchased on auction sites, automobiles, motorcycles, domain names, jewelry, specialized computer equipment, and other high-ticket items.
* When to use another payment service: If you know and trust the other party involved in the transaction.

Protection for both Buyer and Seller

* Buyers receive and inspect the merchandise before the Seller is paid.
* Sellers receive their money if the Buyer accepts the merchandise.

I had a similar experience when shopping for a travel trailer. seller was in UK and had wanted to do a long distance sale. needless to say, I never went further. sounded fishy then.

Ha! I had the exact opposite experience. Seems the buyer was touring Europe or some nonsense, anyway was in UK. Sent a check for 75% and then would send an agent with cash to pick up. They try to get the check to you near a holiday when the banks are closed. Mine is almost always open, even most Holidays. Check was a good forgery, would have taken the trailer for 25% of what it was worth.:shakehead:

No use busting the agent, they were legit hired to inspect and pick up the trailer...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom