Frecking HP hose leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Finally got back in the water today since last February...work, school, and a traumatic hand injury that required surgery has kept me landluberring for more months than I care for.

When we got out of the water my wife mentioned I had a stream of bubbles coming from the short high pressure hose my transmitter is attached to. I suspected the o-rings on the hp spool and replace them....no joy. To rule out the spool entirely I mounted the spg and spool from my pony bottle regset onto the transmitter's hose and put reg set on pony bottle and submerged in the bathtub...still leaking.

I have included a picture with my finger pointing to the junction of the coupling where the bubbles are coming from.

This happened a couple of years ago with another short hose that a dive partner gave me.

What causes these to leak at this junction and is there anything I can do to salvage this or do I need to drop coin on a replacement hose? I have yet to have a "normal" length hp hose fail in this way.

Anyone have any thoughts?

20201004_154955.jpg

-Z

Probably time to clean and lubricate the spool or maybe change the spool if the o-rings are suspect.

If the leak is from the nut side of the fitting, look at the sealing face of the fitting. It might vave some crud in it. Also, did you try a new oring on the spool? Or just a new spool. Cheap things to try...

Clean the threads in all parts, clean the spool, replace the spool o'rings or the entire spool. Once everything is cleaned and whatever was replaced, lube the o'ring VERY slightly and put everything together and you should be all ok.

New spool fixed my leak at the fitting.

If the hp hose itself is leaking, that's a built-in feature to indicate you should think about getting a new hose.

Replaced the o-rings on the spool - did not fix prolem.

Installed SPG and spool feom different reg set onto hose - did not fix problem.

Leaking hose has only been used in freshwater...no visible crud buildup.

Appears to be metal to metal connection i side the threaded nut/coupling part of the high pressure hose.

This has happened before and I figured the ladt hose was defective and replaced it...this hose has developed the same problem...intetested in knowing why, hoe to prevent it from occuring, and/or if there is a remedy for it.

In the interim, I will change the o-rings again, attempt to clean things better than they currently are, and see if I have any other spools in my kit.

-Z

Replaced the o-rings on the spool - did not fix prolem.

Installed SPG and spool feom different reg set onto hose - did not fix problem.

Leaking hose has only been used in freshwater...no visible crud buildup.

Appears to be metal to metal connection i side the threaded nut/coupling part of the high pressure hose.

This has happened before and I figured the ladt hose was defective and replaced it...this hose has developed the same problem...intetested in knowing why, hoe to prevent it from occuring, and/or if there is a remedy for it.

In the interim, I will change the o-rings again, attempt to clean things better than they currently are, and see if I have any other spools in my kit.

-Z
The spool is meant to bridge the gap between the hose and the gauge, if the spool seals the nut end of the hose isn’t under pressure. It may just be that the fitting end, the spool mating area, isn’t sized right or has worn (seems unlikely to be a wear thing)

I assembled my gear last night for a dive this morning and had a HP hose leak. Mine was from a pinhole leak in the hose itself so I just replaced the hose with a new one from my save-a-dive kit. The old hose had lasted 56 years so I think I got my money's worth. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom