Frederiksted pier enterance and exit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got Post #28 in this trip report thread. In a nutshell, if you stand on-island facing the pier heading out, I giant strode off the pier to your right, finned out along the big underwater rows of support columns, crossed over, finned back alone the left (other side) coming back, encountered the mass of boulders, then you can see the mix of boulders and sandy shore in the general area I exited.

Thanks, not sure how I missed that. How easy is it for someone with back issues?

You exit on the South Side by swimming toward where the chains have been taken down along the shore sidewalk. It is a little rocky getting out but there is a "path" that runs up alongside a large flat slab of concrete.

There is a set of "stairs" made from cinderblocks that you walk up to get from the shore level to the sidewalk. The footing is not flat and you need to step carefully.

You exit on the South Side by swimming toward where the chains have been taken down along the shore sidewalk. It is a little rocky getting out but there is a "path" that runs up alongside a large flat slab of concrete.

Wonder if this what I'm picturing from 8 years ago. Our entry/exit was just off of the south side of pier but close to the shore. After the uneven rocks, there was a small wooden platform one could step onto before stepping onto the sidewalk. See pictures below - I could only find one of mine - the other 2 I took from the internet.

As @drrich2 stated (and showed in the link) a stride from that point isn't much different than a stride from a boat. Just a little more air time! This makes for a good entry point and what @TN Traveler indicated in his post a nice exit point.

Does anyone have pictures of how and where you get out at the pier?

Great question I wish I would have asked when I first dove the pier without a guide. These are a few notes from my earliest pier dive without first asking: Jumped from pier - climbed ladder. Found afterwards that there is a place to get out at water level. Yes, we climbed the ladder rungs in the concrete- what a workout!!

Frederiksted-FlickrPrayinto-700x400.jpg

fredericksted pier.jpg
the-ship-by-the-pier.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 82
The location you have described was destroyed during Maria. You now go directly to shore and exit using the “stairs “.

the chain is down just to the right of your arrow showing the ship.

We rarely enter the water using the "jump" on the North side. Too many things can go astray with a 6-8 ft drop - masks come off, SPGs fly around, octos free flow, .........
We now climb down the "stairs" on the south side and wade into the water. Besides, there is more to see in the boulders along the pier on that side than along the concrete on the North side - but you won't see the colony of garden eels in the sand on the North side unless you swim under the pier specifically to find them. Still the best spot is the farthest dolfin where the turtles and other larger sea life are found..

Back
Top Bottom