Free Entrance to National Parks for Veterans and Gold Star Families

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Free Entrance to National Parks for Veterans and Gold Star Families (U.S. National Park Service)

This seems like a worthy gesture, and I was glad to see it announced. I already have a lifetime senior admission membership, but I decided to register for a Vets ID card anyway. How to apply for a Veteran ID Card | Veterans Affairs
When you apply, be sure to have these on hand:
  • Your Social Security number
  • A digital copy of your DD214, DD256, DD257, or NGB22 that you can upload. This could be in a .pdf, .jpeg, or .png file format.
  • A copy of a current and valid government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license, passport, or state-issued identification card.
You’ll also need a digital color photo of yourself from the shoulders up. (Details at the link)
It seemed a little tricky to get registered and apply, but I got it done. Now my application is stuck in review. I wonder how long that'll take.

Also of note, there is a Veteran Lifetime Pass for $10. This applies to National Parks.

Of course free is a bit better :cheers:

Also of note, there is a Veteran Lifetime Pass for $10. This applies to National Parks.
I'd need the Vet ID card to obtain that, wouldn't I? Then what's the point in getting that pass?

No vet ID card required. Just satisfy the documentation requirements. I have a %70 rating and have mine. Sorry if this is confusing I only meant to add helpful info.

The free entrance gift isn’t a lifetime award if I remember correctly. When I got my pass that was the only benefit given at the time for national park admission. The pass is a lifetime pass.

What is a "gold star family?"

Edit: I googled it. For those others who don't know; A gold star family is the family of someone who's died in the military.

What is a "gold star family?"

Edit: I googled it. For those others who don't know; A gold star family is the family of someone who's died in the military.

There is a caveat to gold star family: (from nps.gov website)
"Gold Star Families are next of kin of a member of the United States Armed Forces who lost his or her life in a “qualifying situation,” such as a war, an international terrorist attack, or a military operation outside of the United States while serving with the United States Armed Forces."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom